ColonialAmerica.com features colonial and early American historical content, news, videos and a searchable database with thousands of mappable historic sites and millions of indexed pages.
Dispatches, now posted DAILY, include news items, features, historical content, unaffiliated blog article links etc. Take note that along with some dispatches may be related videos, historical markers, sites etc., displayed below the story at right.
Placing your mouse cursor over a dispatch title will pause the scroll. Older content is searchable below.
Work Begins To Excavate 3,000 Plague Skeletons
Archaeologists have begun excavating some 3,000 skeletons from a 17th century burial ground used during the Great Plague. The grave at the site of the new Liverpool Street station, which will serve the London Crossrail line, was used as a burial ground from 1569 until 1738 and it is hoped tests on excavated victims will enable a better understanding of the disease. "The Bedlam burial ground ...
For additional information on topics relating to this article click on any of the links below:
A woman of a good character, with a good breast of milk, to take charge of a child in a family. Enquire of JAMES WHITNEY, in Pawtuxet.
Providence, Nov 30, 1779
|Mrs Grinnell begs leave most respectfully to acquaint the public, that she has opened a Coffee-House for the present season; and having furnished herself with liquors, etc of a superior quality, she flatters herself that she shall be able genteelly to entertain such as may honor her with their commands. The strictest attention will be paid to the accommodation of company and the smallest favours thankfully acknowledged.
Providence, Dec 17, 1779
|Whereas Mary, the wife of the subscriber, has left his bed and board, and refuses to live with him: He hereby forbids all persons crediting her on his account, as he is determined not to pay any debts of her contracting from the date hereof.
|HUGH ROBERTS is removed from the Shop at the Corner of Strawberry Alley in Market Street to the Shop (at the sign of the Tobacco-Pipe) next door to the Great Meeting-House in Second street.
Philadelphia, July, 3, 1735