Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

American Revolution History by
American Revolution History by
Legend: Selected Site Area Merchant Site Historic Site Historic Marker Historic Shipwreck
Marker data courtesy of   Some map icons courtesy of Map Icons Collection

1776 Mayflower : A Story of Courage, Community, and War
The Federalist Papers Bunker Hill: A City, a Siege, a Revolution
Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis Thomas Jefferson and the Opening of the American West John Adams
Benjamin Franklin : An American Life The Bloody & Brave History of Native American Warriors & the Women Who Supported Them
Click here for additional books

We the Kids : The Preamble to the Constitution of the United States The New Americans : Colonial Times: 1620-1689 (The American Story)
The Notorious Benedict Arnold: A True Story of Adventure, Heroism & Treachery A History of US: Vol 3, From Colonies to Country (A History of Us)
Let It Begin Here!: Lexington & Concord: First Battles of the American Revolution George Washington, Spymaster: How the Americans Outspied the British and Won the Revolutionary War
They Called Her Molly Pitcher Now &  Ben : The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin

Pirates and Traders: Gold! Hidden Treasures Hidden Object
Dedaloop (Kindle Fire Edition) Word Treasure
Treasure Island, The Experience Robinson Crusoe
The Patriots Hero Tales from American History - AudioBook

Selected Site

Rochambeau Route 1781 - 82

Middlebury, CT, 06762

In this vicinity
French Troops under
enroute to Yorktown
encamped during June 1781
Erected by the state
Mattatuck Branch,
Sons Amer. Rev.

Click on heading to visit the website (excludes markers).

Nearby Historical Markers

First Settlement of Waterbury

Waterbury, CT, 06708

The first settlement of Waterbury was made on land in this region about 1675. The settlement was abandoned during King Philip’s War and was resumed around the present Waterbury green after 1677.

Harrub Pilgrim Memorial

Waterbury, CT, 06708

East - Right Side
Plymouth Rock does not mark a beginning or an end. It marks a revelation of that which is without beginning and without end. A purpose shining through eternity with a resplendent light undimmed even by the imperfections of men and a response an answering purpose from those who oblivious disdainful of all else sailed hither seeking only for an avenue for the immortal soul. Calvin Coolidge

West - Left Side
Moved by the illustrious record of the Pilgrim Fathers the donor Charles Harrub in loving memory of his wife Roby S. Harrub and of her sympathetic accord dedicates this monument to the townspeople of Waterbury to keep ever in mind the conquest of hardship and adversity through virile Christian character and unflinching loyalty to almighty God on which was reared the structure of New England.

Jonathan Scott and Hannah Hawkes

Watertown, CT, 06795

[ west side ]
To commemorate the suffering and torture inflicted by the Indians upon Jonathan Scott and Hannah Hawkes, his wife, the first permanent settlers of Watertown, this memorial is erected by the Waterbury and Watertown Chapters of the Daughters of the American Revolution and descendants of Jonathan Scott
June 1908

[east side, left]
Here lies the bo-
dy of Mr. Jonathan
Scott Who Died
May y 15th
A D 1745
Aged 79 years

[ east side, right]
Here lies the bo-
dy of Hannah the
Wife of Mr. John-
Nathan Scott
who died April
y 7 A D 1744
Aged 77 years

Memorial To Two French Soldiers

Waterbury, CT, 06705

1781   1914
This memorial was erected by
Patriotic Citizens and Statesmen to
commemorate two French Soldiers
of Rochambeau's Army who volun-
teered to fight for American Indepen-
dence under Washington, enroute
from Newport to Yorktown, died and
were buried here, 1781.
Govs. Baldwin, Conn. Dunne, Ill. (native of
Waterbury) Glynn, N.Y. McGovern, Wis.
McCreary, Ky.
U.S. Senators of Conn. F.B. Brandegee,
G.P. McLean, Senator Irving H. Chase, Conn.
Congressmen of Conn. A. Lonergan,
B.F. Mahan, T.L. Reilly, Wm. Kennedy
Martin Scully, Mayor of Waterbury
Alfred J. Wolfe, Pres. Bd. Aldermen,
F.P. Guilfoile, Corp. Counsel
School Children and Teachers
Portarlington Designer
Committee of Erection
D.H. Tierney
Chas. S. Miller
Ervis E. Wright
Erected Aug. 1914

Michael Dayton

Watertown, CT, 06795

Revolutionary War Soldier
Michael Dayton
Captain of Connecticut
Born June 4, 1722
Died Sept. 22, 1776
Placed by
Sarah Whitman Trumbull
Chapter NSDAR   May 1996


Middlebury, CT, 06762

The name of the town derives from the central
position its meeting house occupies, six
miles from three older neighbors, Waterbury,
Southbury and Woodbury.
Winter ecclesiastical privileges, permitting
local church services, were established for
West Farms, originally the southwest portion
of Waterbury, in 1768. In 1790, West Farms
and adjoining portions of Woodbury and South-
bury became a distinct ecclesiastical society
under the name of Middlebury. The first
house in the area was erected by Isaac
Bronson before 1702 on Breakneck Hill.
During the Revolutionary War, French General
Rochambeau and his troops established a camp
in the Breakneck Hill section on their march
to the final campaign at Yorktown, Virginia.
First petition to the General Assembly for
independence of Middlebury from Waterbury was
made in 1800. After much opposition
incorporation was granted in October, 1807.
Erected by the Town of Middlebury
the Middlebury Historical Society, Inc.
and the Connecticut Historical Commission

Revolutionary War Tercentennial Memorial


A Tercentennial
Memorial to all
American Revolutionary
War soldiers
buried in this cemetery

Rochambeau Route 1781-82

Southbury, CT, 06488

In 1781 and 1782 Jean Baptiste Count de Rochambeau and his French Troops marched by here enroute to and from Yorktown, Va.

Soldiers of 1776 Memorial

Watertown, CT, 06795

[ marker on the left column ]
Soldiers of 1776
Ensign Theophilus Baldwin
Col. Aner Bradley
Benaja Bryan
David Buckingham
Thomas Cole
Younglove Cutler
Samuel Dayton
Dr. John Elton
Jonathan Garnsey
Capt. Joseph Garnsey
Ashbel Loveland
Capt. Isaac Merriman
Joash Seymour
Capt. Josiah Seymour
Ensign John Stoddard
Erected By
The Sarah Whitman Trumbull
Chapter D.A.R.

[ marker on the right column ]
Soldiers of 1776
Asel Bronson
Capt. Michael Dayton
Lieut. Thomas Dutton
Isiah Hickox
Amasa Mattoon
Christopher Merriman
Charles Merriman Drum Major
Heman Munson
Elijah Steele
Wells Stoddard
William Trumbull
Capt. John Woodruff
Capt. Abel Woodward
Edward Warren
Samuel Woodruff
Erected By
The Sarah Whitman Trumbull
Chapter D.A.R.


Southbury, CT, 06488

In 1659 this area was part of a large tract of land bought from the Paugussett Indians by prospective settlers from Stratford. The boundaries of this purchase, from which several towns were later formed, extended from the Pootatuck River on the southwest to the Naugatuck River on the northeast. The first settlers arrived in 1673 and the area was named Woodbury in the following year. The Southbury Ecclesiastical Society was formed in 1733, when a new meetinghouse was erected. In 1787 Southbury and South Britain together were incorporated by the General Assembly as a new town of approximately forty square miles. Because of available water power, many small mills and manufacturing plants were established here. A railroad line served the town from 1881 to 1948. Southbury, in spite of rapid population growth, has retained most of its rural characteristics and natural beauty.

Where Rochambeau Crossed the Housatonic River

Southbury, CT, 06488

Near this point
Le Comte de Rochambeau
crossed the Housatonic River
leading the French Army
enroute to victory at Yorktown.


Woodbury Center, CT, 06798

In 1659 citizens of Stratford purchased from the Pegasset Indians the land, then called Pomperaug Plantation, that is now occupied by Woodbury, Southbury, Roxbury, Bethlehem and parts of Washington, Middlebury and Oxford. It was re-named Woodbury in 1673 and became the twenty-third town of Connecticut. The first congregation was gathered to a church near this marker, and townspeople were called to worship by the town drummer stationed on the rock to the east.

The streams of Woodbury provided power for making cutlery and woolen cloth from colonial days through the nineteenth century, but agriculture was the town’s main occupation, while forests furnished charcoal for the metal furnaces of neighboring industries.

"I love the rocks and rills
Thy woods and templed hills."

Community Histories



The town of Southbury was one of several towns formed out of a parcel of land purchased from the Paugussett Indians in 1659. Southbury was originally part of Woodbury, which was settled in 1673. A meetinghouse for the Southbury Ecclesiastical Society was built in 1733, and in 1787 the town of Southbury was incorporated. Although incorporated as part of Litchfield County, Southbury has been in New Haven County for most of its existence.

In the 1800s, water power became essential to the growth of Southbury's industries, which included mills, tanneries, and distilleries. The power for these industries came primarily from the Pomperaug River and the Housatonic River.

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0


The original settlement of Waterbury was in 1674 as a Town Plot section. In 1675 King Philip's War caused it to be vacated but the land, was returned to in 1677, this time west of the first settlement. Both sites are now marked. The Algonquin name for the area was "Matetacoke", meaning "place without trees." Thus the settlement was named "Mattatock" in 1673. The name changed to Waterbury on May 15, 1686, when the settlement was admitted as the 28th town in the Connecticut Colony. It then included all or parts of the later towns of Watertown, Plymouth, Wolcott, Prospect, Naugatuck, Thomaston, and Middlebury. The name Waterbury was chosen because of all the streams flowing into the Naugatuck River. Growth was slow during Waterbury's first hundred years. The lack of arable land discouraged new settlers, and the residents suffered through the great flood of 1691 and the great sickness of 1712. After a century, Waterbury's population numbered just 5,000.

Waterbury hit its stride as an industrial power in the early 19th century when it began to manufacture brass.

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0


More than 310 years ago the area that is now Watertown belonged to the local Paugasuck Indians. But in 1684, Thomas Judd and 35 other proprietors bought the land from the Indians and Town history began.

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article ",_Connecticut", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0


The founders of Ancient Woodbury came from Stratford in the 1670s. Ancient Woodbury consisted of the present towns of Woodbury, Southbury, Roxbury, Bethlehem, most of Washington and parts of Middlebury and Oxford.

Two groups of settlers came from Stratford. One, a group of religious dissidents unhappy with the church in Stratford, was led by Woodbury’s first minister, Reverend Zachariah Walker. The second group, led by Deacon Samuel Sherman, had been given approval by the general court to purchase land from local Native Americans in order establish a new settlement. The two groups, consisting of fifteen families (about fifty people), arrived in Ancient Woodbury, known as “Pomperaug Plantation, early in 1673.

In 1673 the original settlers of Woodbury drew up an agreement called the “Fundamental Articles,” which proclaimed that as many settlers as could be accommodated would be welcomed to the new settlement. The Fundamental Articles stated that expenses of establishing the settlement would be shared by its inhabitants, and that no one was to be given more than twenty-five or less than ten acres of land. Other sections of the articles provided for common land and land saved to be divided up for future inhabitants of the settlement.

Signers of the Fundamental Articles:
Samuel Sherman, Sr.
Joshua Curtiss,
Lt. Joseph Judson, Sr.
Titus Hinman
Israel Curtiss
David Jenkins
John Wheeler
John Judson
Roger Terill
Moses Johnson
John Wyatt
Samuel Munn
John Sherman
Samuel Stiles
John Minor
Eleazur Knowles
Thomas Fairchild

The settlement was named Woodbury, which means a “dwelling place in the woods” and first recognized as a town in 1674. Deacon and captain John Minor was the first leader of the community during Woodbury’s early years. Minor was the first town clerk and along with Lieutenant Joseph Judson served as the first deputy to the Connecticut General Court from the town of Woodbury.

On March 25, 1783, a meeting of ten Episcopal clergy in Woodbury, Connecticut, elected Samuel Seabury (1729–1796) the first American Episcopal bishop, the second Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church, USA, and the first Bishop of Connecticut.

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article ",_Connecticut ", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0