Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

American Revolution History by
American Revolution History by
Legend: Selected Site Area Merchant Site Historic Site Historic Marker Historic Shipwreck
Marker data courtesy of   Some map icons courtesy of Map Icons Collection

1776 Mayflower : A Story of Courage, Community, and War
The Federalist Papers Bunker Hill: A City, a Siege, a Revolution
Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis Thomas Jefferson and the Opening of the American West John Adams
Benjamin Franklin : An American Life The Bloody & Brave History of Native American Warriors & the Women Who Supported Them
Click here for additional books

We the Kids : The Preamble to the Constitution of the United States The New Americans : Colonial Times: 1620-1689 (The American Story)
The Notorious Benedict Arnold: A True Story of Adventure, Heroism & Treachery A History of US: Vol 3, From Colonies to Country (A History of Us)
Let It Begin Here!: Lexington & Concord: First Battles of the American Revolution George Washington, Spymaster: How the Americans Outspied the British and Won the Revolutionary War
They Called Her Molly Pitcher Now &  Ben : The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin

Pirates and Traders: Gold! Hidden Treasures Hidden Object
Dedaloop (Kindle Fire Edition) Word Treasure
Treasure Island, The Experience Robinson Crusoe
The Patriots Hero Tales from American History - AudioBook

Selected Site

Rochambeau’s Encampment

Ramapo, NY, 10901

After crossing the Hudson,
Commander-in-chief of the
French army in America,
General Jean-Baptiste
Rochambeau, encamped here
with his 5000 troops en route
from Newport, R.I. to
Virginia. Joining with Gen.
Washington, the two armies
hurried to Yorktown and
forced the surrender of the
besieged British General
Cornwallis October 19, 1781.
This devastating blow proved
to be the final battle of the
American Revolution. A year
later the French troops returned
and Suffern’s Tavern again
served as Rochambeau’s
Suffern Chamber of Commerce

Click on heading to visit the website (excludes markers).

Nearby Historic Sites

Hopper-Goetschius House

363 East Saddle River Road
Upper Saddle River, NJ, 07458

New Hempstead Presbyterian Church

484 New Hempstead Road
New City, NY, 10956

Old Stone House

538 Island Road
Ramsey, NJ, 07446

The Hermitage

335 N Franklin Tpke
Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ, 07423

Wortendyke Barn

13 Pascack Rd
Park Ridge, NJ, 07656

Click on any heading to visit the website.

Nearby Historical Markers

Ackerson Homestead

Park Ridge, NJ, 07656

Built about 1800 by John Ackerson and son Garret, this stone house stands on land purchased in 1759. The property was developed during a century of family ownership. A general store was built opposite the house site in 1777 and successive generations built a distillery and a woolen mill beside the Pascack Brook. In 1857 the homestead was sold to Levi Gurnee who also operated the general store for forty years.
Sponsored and restored by Russell K. and Wendy Smith   1981

American Break Shoe Foundry

Mahwah, NJ, 07430

          On August 25, 1781 during the historic 600-mile march to what was the Revolutionary War’s decisive Battle of Yorktown, Gen. Rochambeau’s army was forced to ford this river because the bridge that was here was in poor shape. The bridge of today was built in 2010.

          Opened here in the rural countryside in 1901, the Ramapo Foundry manufactured railroad break shoes. It grew into a conglomerate with more than 500 workers at its largest facility in Mahwah. At this complex of labs, foundries, offices and worker housing, it made railroad & automotive products, hydraulics, castings & friction material. During WWII the foundry fulfilled defense contracts. From 1902-1943 it was called the American Brake Shoe and Foundry, and from 1943-1966 the American Brake Shoe Company. It closed in 1983 as part of Abex, IC Industries.

Blauvelt House

New City, NY, 10956

This Dutch farm house and the adjacent buildings stand on what was once part of the Kakiat Patent. The land was acquired by Jacob Abramse Blauvelt in 1741. Eleven generations of Blauvelt descendants thereafter farmed the land. The middle sections of the present house as well as the barn and shed were built ca. 1780. The main part of the house dates from 1834. The Historical Society acquired the buildings and four acres of the farm in 1970. Sponsored by Dellwood Country Club

Brick Church

Wesley Hills, NY, 10952

Estab. 1774 as Prot. Dutch Reformed Church of Kakeath on land from Teunis Cuyper. Initial church built 1778. Present church built 1856.

Clarkstown Reformed Church

New City, NY, 10994

Worship services in this hamlet were held as early as 1740 in a log meeting house at the old burial ground northwest of historic Pye’s Corner.

The First Reformed Protestant Dutch Church was organized there in 1750. Initially services were in Dutch and later in English on alternate Sundays.

A sandstone building replaced the old structure in 1826 and was used until 1871 when the congregation moved to this site.

Colonial Clarkstown

Valley Cottage, NY, 10994

Ancient Indian trails intersected at this place adjoining a large Indian village which extended to the Hackensack Creek. Early in the 18th century the De Clark family built a gristmill on these premises, scene of the last witchcraft trial in New York state c. 1816. The hamlet surrounding the De Clark farm was called Clarkstown. In 1870 George Washington and his troops encamped on the drill grounds east of the mill pond.

De Harte Patent

Haverstraw, NY, 10927

In 1666 Balthzar De Harte
obtained first land grant
in what is now
Rockland County.
U.S. Bicentennial

Eckerson House

Montvale, NJ, 07645

Built in the 1790’s by Jacob Eckerson near an earlier home where he had settled about 1770. The farmstead then consisted of 119 acres. The house was inherited by his son John J. Eckerson in 1810 who owned it until 1870 when purchased by James Ledwith. The frame second story was added in the 1890’s. John Foxlee bought the house and farm in 1917 and it was occupied by that family until 1971.
Sponsored by Robert J. and Georgia Parsons   1984
in National Register of Historic Places

Hopper Gristmill Site

Mahwah, NJ, 07430

Built as a gristmill about 1760 by Lambartus Laroe and sold to Thomas Boggs in 1764, it had a pair of millstones. Boggs also ran a tavern in his nearby home. Owned by David Baldwin during the Revolution, the mill ground grain for American troops. Purchased after the war by Garret W. Hopper who added a sawmill. In 1832 he willed it to son William G. Hopper, a N.J. State Legislator. It operated as a mill until it burned in the late 1870’s.

Hopper-Goetschius House

Upper Saddle River, NJ, 07458

Abraham Hopper built a "new stone house" here (the west wing) in 1739, according to surveyor Charles Clinton. The rest is late 18th century. About 1813 it was bought by the Rev. Stephen Goetschius (1752 - 1837), pastor of Old Stone Church. Borough clerk Stephen J. Goetschius and his wife Lizzie Carlough were the last residents. After over 170 years in the Goetschius family, the house was given to the Borough by Clinton D. and Grace Carlough in 1985.
Sponsored by the Upper Saddle River Historical Society,   1988.
In National Register of Historic Places.

Jacob Blauvelt House

New City, NY, 10956

Built on lands belonging to the Blauvelt Family from 1741 to 1970 when it was acquired by the Historical Society of Rockland County

Presented by Daniel De Clerque Chapter Daughters of the American Colonists

New Hempstead Presbyterian Church

Ramapo, NY, 10956

Founded 1734
New Hempstead Presbyterian
called the English Church
by Dutch Settlers. Rebuilt
1827. Washington’s troops
camped on this ground.

Old Clarkstown Reformed Church Cemetery

Bardonia, NY, 10994

A Dutch meeting house and burial ground occupied this site ca. 1740. The First Reformed Protestant Dutch Church was organized here in 1750. A sandstone building replaced the old wooden structure in 1826. This cemetery, in use for almost two centuries, contains the graves of 20 Revolutionary War soldiers and 20 of the War of 1812.
West Nyack Memorial Post No. 1619
American Legion

Old Lutheran Cemetery

Mahwah, NJ, 07430

In 1713, eleven German Palatine families settled in this area and organized into a congregation under Lutheran Pastor Justus Falckner. About 1720, they built a log church near this site. It was replaced prior to 1739 with a larger structure, and again in 1798 by the present Ramapo Reformed Church, which the Lutheran and Dutch Reformed congregations built together. Stones in this cemetery date from 18th to the mid-19th centuries, with the earliest stone dated 1745. Family names include Bevans, Fox, Frederick, Hemmion (Henion), Messenger (Messinger), Osborn, and Wanamaker.

Old Stone House

Ramsey, NJ, 07446

Dutch Colonial farmhouse built in the early 1700s. Both carved date of 1747 found on an old barn beam and the rubble stone construction of the house place it in this early period. Minutes of the East New Jersey Board of Proprietors and existing public records lead to the belief house was built by a Westervelt, early owners of the land, (a part of the much disputed Ramapough tract). According to recently discovered records, the house served as a tavern during the 18th century. Thus came the persistent legend that Aaron Burr stopped here for liquid refreshment en route to the Hermitage. The house is on both the State and National Register of Historic Places.
Sponsored by the Ramsey Historical Association 1981

Ramapo Valley Road

Darlington, NJ, 07430

First an Indian path, then an important road during the period of colonial settlement. Washington’s army used this road in July 1777, and at many other times during the revolution. This is one of America’s oldest roads. It was an important link between New England and the South.
Sponsored by
The Valley Association

Site of Old Block House

Park Ridge, NJ, 07656

Site of
Old Block House
Used As A
Fort And Indian Trading Post
Built About 1697
By Omey Ackerson
First Business Building
In The
Pascack Valley
Marker Placed By
Wampum Mill Chapter D.A.R.

Slave Cemetery

Upper Saddle River, NJ, 07458

Known by this name for generations, it once was part of the Hopper family farm. Believed to have been a burial ground for slaves and freed blacks, there once were many stones, most without marks. In 1910, the surviving stones with inscriptions were recorded. Known to rest here are John Thompson who died July 22, 1854 at the age of twenty-one; S.F.T., June 30, 1821; Sam (undated); and Gin, July 1775, Her tombstone was inscribed in Dutch.
Sponsored by Upper Saddle River Historical Society,   1987
Restoration by Troop 33, BSA

Sterling Furnace

Warwick, NY, 10987

This tablet was erected by the
Daughters of the Revolution
State of New York
June 23, 1906
To commemorate the ruins of
Sterling Furnace
Which was built on this spot in 1751.

This furnace is believed to have been the first place in the State of New York in which iron and steel were manufactured in quantity.

From the iron here produced was manufactured in 1778, by Peter Townsend, the Great Chain put across the Hudson River, near West Point, to impede the progress of the British war-ships up the river; and the first anchor made in New York State was here manufactured in 1773.

Suffern’s Tavern

Ramapo, NY, 10901

Erected     Oct. 4, 1924

Site of

a noted hostelry of
the Revolution

Headquarters of
• General •
George Washington
• July 15th to 20th, 1777 •

Headquarters of
Colonel Aaron Burr
commanding the troops
guarding the Ramapo Pass

The Hermitage

Waldwick, NJ, 07463

has been designated a
Registered National
Historic Landmark

Under the provisions of the
Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935
this site possesses exceptional value
in commemorating and illustrating
the history of the United States

U.S. Department of the Interior
National Park Service

This Cannon "Independence"

Ramapo, NY, 10901

This cannon "Independence"
used at the Battle of Long Island,
Aug. 27th, 1776,
was purchased by the Union Hill
Association in 1851 and presented
by the only surviving member,
Chas. E. Suffern, to the Village of
Suffern on April 23rd, 1908.

Treason Site

Haverstraw, NY, 10927

Within these woods, in the early morning hours of September 22, 1780, American General Benedict Arnold and British Major John Andre plotted the surrender of the American fortress at West Point. While attempting to return to British lines, Andre was captured by American soldiers. He was tried, convicted and hanged as a spy at Tappan on October 2, 1780. Traitor Arnold escaped and joined the British.

Wortendyke Dutch Barn

Park Ridge, NJ, 07656

This pre-Revolutionary Dutch barn was built by the Wortendyke family. Once common in the Hudson River area, the barn is one of the few remaining in this country. Broader than deep, the structure is entirely supported by four H-frames tied with massive anchor beams. Front and rear wagon doors permit through access to the threshing floor, which is flanked by side aisles for animals.
Sponsored by the Pascack Historical Society     1976

Wortendyke Homestead

Park Ridge, NJ, 07656

Frederick Wortendyke, Jr. built the original sandstone section of this farmhouse in the 1750’s. Located at "Pascack" on land purchased by his father in 1735, the tract included nearly a third of present-day Park Ridge. The homestead was enlarged before 1775 and was further expanded and remodeled over the years. It remained in the Wortendyke family until 1851.

Wortendyke Homestead

Woodcliff Lake, NJ, 07677

Frederick Wortendyke IV built this house between 1812 - 1825 to replace an older home near-by. It stands on land purchased in 1775 by his grandfather Frederick Jr. of Park Ridge. The family operated a general store on the opposite side of Pascack Road where Frederick V was postmaster for Pascack in the 1850’s and 1860’s. From 1920 on the house was the residence of the Hollenbeck family for nearly 50 years.

Community Histories



In 1609, the region was explored by Henry Hudson. A land purchase was made in this town in 1666 from local natives and confirmed as a patent in 1671. The region was known as Haverstroo, meaning "oat straw".

During the American Revolution, it served as an important lookout for British activities on the Hudson. A blue-marked trail, the Long Path, may be taken 2 miles (3 km) eastward from Central Highway along the crest of South Mountain to High Tor. Halfway is Little Tor, the second highest peak on South Mountain.

The town of Haverstraw was formed in 1788 while still part of Orange County, New York. Haverstraw was partitioned in 1791 to form the town of Clarkstown and the town of Ramapo and again in 1865 to form the town of Stony Point.

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0


Rockland County was inhabited by the Munsee band of Lenape Native Americans, or Delaware Indian, of the Algonquian languages. Monsey Glen, an Indian encampment, is located west of the intersection of NY 59 and NY 306. Numerous artifacts have been found there and some rock shelters are still visible. The Monsey railroad station, which received its name from Munsee, a Lenape chief, was built when the New York & Erie Railroad passed through the glen in 1841.

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article ",_New_York", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0


"The Point of the Mountains" or "Sidman's Clove" were names used in designating the present village of Suffern before the American Revolution. The area originally was inhabited by the Ramapough (Monsey (Minsi)) Indians, who were a division of the great Delaware or Lenape nation. Upon Sidman's death this land passed into the hands of his son-in-law, John Smith, who sold it to John Suffern.

The village of Suffern was founded in 1796. John Suffern, first Rockland County judge, 1798–1806, settled near the base of the Ramapo Mountains in 1773, and called the place New Antrim, after his home in County Antrim, Ireland, where his Huguenot ancestors had settled circa 1685. New Antrim's location was considered strategically important in the Revolutionary War due to its location near Ramapo Pass. General George Washington and other important military leaders used John Suffern's home as headquarters when they were in the area.

Suffern is part of the Washington–Rochambeau Revolutionary Route National Historic Trail, the W3R-NHT, under the auspices of the National Park Service. This trail commemorates the route followed by General Washington and the French comte de Rochambeau as they traveled to the siege of Yorktown, Virginia, which led to the end of America's War of Independence.

Rochambeau made encampment in Suffern again on September 13, 1782, as he retraced his steps to return home. An historical marker on the Washington Avenue side of the Lafayette Theatre identifies this site of "Rochambeau's Encampment 1781–1782." At the time of the encampment, this site was directly across the road from village founder John Suffern's home and tavern where the comte de Rochambeau actually stayed. The Suffern Furniture Company now is located where this house once stood.

During the war, Commander-in-Chief General Washington and his regiment made camp in the village several times. Lafayette Avenue, the main street of Suffern, is named in honor of Revolutionary War hero Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, better known as the Marquis de Lafayette.

Other guests who took advantage of Suffern's hospitality included Lieutenant Colonel Aaron Burr, who later became the third Vice President of the United States; General George Clinton, who became the first (and longest-serving) elected Governor of New York, and then fourth Vice President of the United States under Thomas Jefferson and James Madison; and Alexander Hamilton, first United States Secretary of the Treasury under President Washington.

From Suffern to Monroe was a main route of travel through the western Hudson Highlands. The main road was the Albany Post Road, one of the oldest roads in the state, which served as the stagecoach line between Albany and New York City and was heavily traveled in winter once the Hudson River froze. The 20 miles (32 km) of road through Ramapo Pass became the Orange Turnpike (now Route 17). Tolls were collected from 1800 until 1886 to maintain and improve the road. The New York State Thruway now runs through the pass. The south entrance to the town was garrisoned during the Revolution, with General Washington ordering as many as 400 soldiers to be stationed there at all times.

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0


Inhabited during the pre-Columbian era by the Lenape Native American tribe, the region surrounding Waldwick was first explored by Europeans when a Dutch trading expedition landed near there c. 1610. With the creation of the Nieuw Amsterdam colony in 1624, the present site of the borough, along with the rest of northeastern New Jersey, became a Dutch possession. During the period from 1624-1664 it was sparsely developed by Dutch settlers, mainly for agricultural purposes. With the annexation of Nieuw Amsterdam by the English in 1664 came a nearly instant increase in immigration to the region and the development of several settlements in and around the present borders of the borough.

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article ",_New_Jersey", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0