Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

American Revolution History by ColonialAmerica.com
American Revolution History by ColonialAmerica.com
Legend: Selected Site Area Merchant Site Historic Site Historic Marker Historic Shipwreck
Marker data courtesy of hmdb.org   Some map icons courtesy of Map Icons Collection



1776 Mayflower : A Story of Courage, Community, and War
The Federalist Papers Bunker Hill: A City, a Siege, a Revolution
Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis Thomas Jefferson and the Opening of the American West John Adams
Benjamin Franklin : An American Life The Bloody & Brave History of Native American Warriors & the Women Who Supported Them
Click here for additional books


We the Kids : The Preamble to the Constitution of the United States The New Americans : Colonial Times: 1620-1689 (The American Story)
The Notorious Benedict Arnold: A True Story of Adventure, Heroism & Treachery A History of US: Vol 3, From Colonies to Country (A History of Us)
Let It Begin Here!: Lexington & Concord: First Battles of the American Revolution George Washington, Spymaster: How the Americans Outspied the British and Won the Revolutionary War
They Called Her Molly Pitcher Now &  Ben : The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin


Pirates and Traders: Gold! Hidden Treasures Hidden Object
Dedaloop (Kindle Fire Edition) Word Treasure
Treasure Island, The Experience Robinson Crusoe
The Patriots Hero Tales from American History - AudioBook

Selected Site

Gen. Henry Knox Trail


Bolton, NY, 12814





Through this place passed
Gen. Henry Knox
in the winter of 1775-1776
to deliver to
Gen. George Washington
at Cambridge
the train of artillery
from Fort Ticonderoga
used to force the British
Army to evacuate Boston

Erected by
The State of New York
during the sesquicentennial
of the American Revolution


Click on heading to visit the website (excludes markers).

Nearby Historic Sites

Fort William Henry (NY)



Canada Street
Lake George, NY, 12845

Fort William Henry Museum



Canada St.
Lake George, NY, 12845

Lake George NY Historical Society



290 Canada Street
Lake George, NY, 12845

Last of the Mohicans Outdoor Drama



Canada St.
Lake George, NY, 12845

Click on any heading to visit the website.

Nearby Historical Markers

A Common Stone



Lake George, NY, 12845

In memory of common men, this stone, taken from the banks of the Mohawk, was erected as a memorial to those Mohawk Valley men under Wm. Johnson who helped build Fort William Henry in the year 1755.

A gift of the people of the Mohawk Valley
1958


Battle of Lake George



LAKE GEORGE, NY, 12845


Right of Monument:
Defeat would have
opened the road to
Albany to the French

Back of Monument:
1903
The Society of Colonial Wars
erected this monument to commemorate
the victory of the colonial forces
under General William Johnson and
their Mohawk allies under Chief Hendrick
over the French regulars commanded
by Baron Dieskau with their Canadian
and Indian allies

Left of Monument:
Confidence inspired by
this victory was of
inestimable value to the
American Army in the
War of the Revolution

Gate Plaque:
The monument erected by
The Society of Colonial Wars
of the State of New York
. 1903 .
--------------
This fence given by the State
erected under the auspices of
The New York State Historical Association
Custodian of the park
. 1914 .


Bloody Pond



LAKE GEORGE, NY, 12845

Here Sept. 8, 1755 (Battle of Lake George) the colonial forces under Lieut. Col. Cole checked the hitherto successful advance of Baron Dieskau and his allies, changing the English rout into ultimate victory. Here likewise on the evening of the same day - Capt. Mc Ginnis assisted by Capt. Folsom with 200 New York and New Hampshire men, fell upon 300 Canadians and Indians encamped near the pond for the night. After a desperate struggle the French force was almost annihilated. Over 200 bodies rolled into the pool, stained its waters red, and gave it its name. In the conflict Rogers the famous ranger made his debut as a soldier.

Near this spot Oct. 11, 1780, Major Christopher Carleton and his band of regulars, Tories, and Indians, defeated with great loss Captain John Sill, and an American detachment from Fort George, forcing the surrender of that station.

Fort George



LAKE GEORGE, NY, 12845


In the State Park to the left
are the ruins of old Fort George.
About here in 1755 the French
under Baron Dieskau were defeated
by the British Colonials under
Sir William Johnson.


Gen. Henry Knox Trail



Lake George, NY, 12845

Through this place passed
Gen. Henry Knox
in the winter of 1775-1776
to deliver to
Gen. George Washington
at Cambridge
the train of artillery
from Fort Ticonderoga
used to force the British
Army to evacuate Boston

Erected by
The State of New York
during the sesquicentennial
of the American Revolution


Gen. Henry Knox Trail



LAKE GEORGE, NY, 12845


Through this place passed
Gen. Henry Knox
in the winter of 1775-1776
to deliver to
Gen. George Washington
at Cambridge
the train of artillery
from Fort Ticonderoga
used to force the British
Army to evacuate Boston

Erected by
The State of New York
during the sesquicentennial
of the American Revolution


Lake George



Lake George, NY, 12845

The natural route by water and portage between the St. Lawrence River and the Hudson River traversed Lake George. Christened Lac du Saint Sacrement in 1646 by the Jesuit missionary, Isaac Jogues, it was renamed in 1755 by Sir William Johnson to honor King George II.

Above the outlet of Lake George, over-looking Lake Champlain, the French in 1755 built Fort Carillon (Ticonderoga), which became a military objective during the colonial conflicts between the English and the French. Fort William Henry, built at the southern end of Lake George to check the French, was destroyed by French and Indians in 1757. In 1758 General James Abercromby led a large force northward to attack the French at Ticonderoga and was repulsed, but General Jeffery Amherst was successful the following year. With the outbreak of the American Revolution, Ethan Allen and Benedict Arnold took Fort Ticonderoga. Abandoned in 1777 to General John Burgoyne's invading army, it remained in British hands until 1782.

From earliest times, the singular beauty of this forest-bound lake has charmed visitors. Sportsmen, artists, and nature-lovers have been drawn to its shores. Boating and fishing have made it a popular recreation area. State-owned campsites and beaches today preserve some of its pristine charm.

Memorial to Four Unknown Soldiers



LAKE GEORGE, NY, 12845


A Memorial to Four Unknown Soldiers
---------------
who fell September 8, 1755 on the Bloody Morning Scout led by Col. Ephraim Williams and King Hendrick against the French and Indians under Baron Dieskau.
The remains were disinterred in building a state highway in 1931 and reburied under this monument.

Erected by State Education and Conservation Departments
and New York State Historical Association
1935


Military Dock



LAKE GEORGE, NY, 12845


During the French and Indian
War, British and Provincial
troops used a dock near
here for loading soldiers,
artillery, and supplies.


Military Road



Lake George, NY, 12845

Military Road built between Fort Edward and Lake George built by Sir William Johnson during the summer of 1755

Northeast Bastion



Lake George, NY, 12845

This was the flagstaff bastion. During the early days of the bombardment, a French projectile severed a pulley on one of the poles, causing the English flag to fall. One of the carpenters rushed to repair the damage, but as he climbed the pole, had his 'head shot off with a ball.'

Northwest Bastion



Lake George, NY, 12845

This bastion suffered the heaviest damage from Montcalm’s artillery. Here a howitzer shell landed on an ammunition box killing or wounding 16, including a 'provincial Officer who was never heard of but part of his coat was found.' Each night the army advanced until they were firing from a distance of 150 yards in the general area of the Fort William Henry Hotel complex.

Radeau Land Tortoise



LAKE GEORGE, NY, 12845

has been designated a
National Historic Landmark

This vessel possesses national significance
in commemorating the history of
the United States of America.

Built by British and provincial forces in 1758, the seven-gun, 26-oar French and Indian War gunboat was sunk two miles north of this point to prevent enemy capture. The only surviving example of her class, she remains at a depth of 107 feet.
1998
National Park Service
United States Department of the Interior


Radeau Warship



Lake George, NY, 12845

Land Tortoise, built by Colonial and British troops, near this site in 1758. Lies 2 miles north in 107 feet of water.

Royal Sussex Regiment Memorial



Lake George, NY, 12845

This plaque commemorates the memory of those officers, N.C.O.s and men of the 35th Regiment of Foot (now the Royal Sussex Regiment), their wives and families who lost their lives during the defence of Fort William Henry, and the subsequent massacre by hostile red Indians after the surrender and evacuation of the Fort in 1757.

The Royal Sussex Regimental Association, Roussillon Barracks, Chichester, Sussex


Southeast Bastion



Lake George, NY, 12845

The original entrance to the fort was under this bastion. A road led to it from the vicinity of the old Railroad Station and Steamboat dock. About a quarter mile away, the rising hill of tall pines marks the site of the Battle of Lake George. This later became the site of the entrenched camp.

Southwest Bastion



Lake George, NY, 12845

You are looking at the general area of the cemetery which encompassed most of the parking area and extended across Canada Street. Many soldiers died from wounds inflicted during battle, but most deaths were related to infection and disease. In 1842, 'the marks of a thousand graves could be seen among the trees. Most had been opened, the bones and skulls dug up in great numbers.'

Sunken Fleet



Lake George, NY, 12845

Fall 1758 British/Americans sank Radeau Land Tortoise, Sloop Halifax, 260 bateaux to avoid plunder by French raiding parties

The Hospital



LAKE GEORGE, NY, 12845


At Battle of Lake George
many wounded soldiers and
some with smallpox were
cruelly murdered by Indians
of Montcalm’s Army.


Wiawaka Bateaux



Lake George, NY, 12845

7 French and Indian War bateaux sunk here in 1758. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.

Community Histories


Lake George

Lake George

The lake was discovered by Father Isaac Jogues in August 1642. He was later captured by Mohawks, escaped, and returned home to France. In 1646, he was sent on a political mission to the Iroquois to propose a treaty of peace, and at that point named the lake "Lac du Saint Sacrement" (The Lake of the Holy Sacrament).

In 1755, the lake was renamed "Lake George" by General Johnson in honor of King George II.

Lake George was also the site of Fort William Henry, named in honor of Prince William Henry, grandson of King George II, by General Johnson. The fort, its surrender to Marquis de Montcalm after a six-day siege by the French and Indians, and the following massacre all in 1757 were used by James Fenimore Cooper as the background for his famous novel The Last of the Mohicans. The fort was reconstructed and opened to the public as a museum in 1953.

The town was established in 1810 as the "Town of Caldwell" from parts of the towns of Bolton, Queensbury, and Thurman.

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_George_(town),_New_York", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0