Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

American Revolution History by ColonialAmerica.com
American Revolution History by ColonialAmerica.com
Legend: Selected Site Area Merchant Site Historic Site Historic Marker Historic Shipwreck
Marker data courtesy of hmdb.org   Some map icons courtesy of Map Icons Collection



1776 Mayflower : A Story of Courage, Community, and War
The Federalist Papers Bunker Hill: A City, a Siege, a Revolution
Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis Thomas Jefferson and the Opening of the American West John Adams
Benjamin Franklin : An American Life The Bloody & Brave History of Native American Warriors & the Women Who Supported Them
Click here for additional books


We the Kids : The Preamble to the Constitution of the United States The New Americans : Colonial Times: 1620-1689 (The American Story)
The Notorious Benedict Arnold: A True Story of Adventure, Heroism & Treachery A History of US: Vol 3, From Colonies to Country (A History of Us)
Let It Begin Here!: Lexington & Concord: First Battles of the American Revolution George Washington, Spymaster: How the Americans Outspied the British and Won the Revolutionary War
They Called Her Molly Pitcher Now &  Ben : The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin


Pirates and Traders: Gold! Hidden Treasures Hidden Object
Dedaloop (Kindle Fire Edition) Word Treasure
Treasure Island, The Experience Robinson Crusoe
The Patriots Hero Tales from American History - AudioBook

Selected Site

Forbes Road


Pittsburgh, PA, 15222




Fort Duquesne
End of Forbes Road
Occupied by General Forbes
November 25, 1758 and by him named
Pittsburgh.

His victory determined the destiny of the
Great West and established Anglo-Saxon
supremacy in the United States.
'His name for ages to come will be dear to Americans
and appear with lustre among contemporary worthies
in the British annals' - Col. Hugh Mercer to
Colonel Bouquet March 21, 1759
104 miles from Fort Bedford


Click on heading to visit the website (excludes markers).

Nearby Historic Sites

Fort Pitt Blockhouse



Commonwealth Pl
Pittsburgh, PA, 15222

General John Neville House



One Station Square
Pittsburgh, PA, 15219

Old Saint Lukes



330 Old Washington Pike
Carnegie, PA, 15106

Click on any heading to visit the website.

Nearby Historical Markers

Allegheny Arsenal



Pittsburgh, PA, 15201

Designed by Benjamin H. Latrobe and constructed in 1814. The Arsenal was used as a military garrison, in the manufacture and storing of supplies during the Civil War, Indian Wars, and Spanish American War.

Bower Hill



Scott Township, PA, 15243

Site of Gen. John Neville's mansion, burned to the ground by insurgents during a major escalation of violence in the Whiskey Rebellion, July 16-17, 1794. Gen. Neville was Inspector of Revenue under President Washington. In the two-day battle, Neville with his slaves and a small federal detachment met a force of over 500 rebels. Two opposition leaders, Oliver Miller and James McFarlane, were killed.

Forks of the Ohio Fort Pitt Blockhouse



Pittsburgh, PA, 15222


(Right side of entrance)
Forks of the Ohio Fort Pitt Block House has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America

(Left side of entrance)
Historic Landmark Fort Pitt Block House Constructed in 1764 Only Surviving Structure of Fort Pitt Pittsburgh's Oldest Architectural Landmark

Fort Lafayette



Pittsburgh, PA, 15222

Stood on this site. It was completed in 1792. Built to protect Pittsburgh against Indian attacks and to serve as a chief supply base for Gen. Wayne's army, 1792-94. Reactivated during the War of 1812. Site sold in 1813.

Grant's Hill



Pittsburgh, PA, 15219

On this hill the British under
Major James Grant were
defeated by the French and
Indians from Fort Duquesne,
September 14, 1758.

Erected by the Pittsburgh
Chapter, Daughters of the
American Revolution,
June 10, 1901.


Hand's Hospital



Crafton, PA, 15205

On this site was located the isolation hospital erected in 1777 by Gen. Edward Hand to care for troops at Fort Pitt. Blockhouses protected the original two-story log structure.

Old St. Luke's Church



CARNEGIE, PA, 15106

Oldest Episcopal Church in southwestern Pennsylvania, founded after the French & Indian War by veteran Maj. William Lea on his land grant. Francis Reno was the first vicar. Church members included Gen. John Neville, the unpopular tax collector in 1794 Whiskey Rebellion that disrupted the area and unsettled the congregation. Renewed interest in1852 led to this stone church, with its 1823 English Pipe organ, the first brought over the Alleghenies.

The King's Garden



Pittsburgh, PA, 15222

You are standing on what was once the parade ground of Fort Pitt, one of the largest military fortifications in 18th century North America. British and colonial American soldiers built this massive fort between 1759 and 1761 in order to control the strategic Forks of the Ohio River (now Point State Park). The town of Pittsburgh grew up around Fort Pitt.

To feed the growing population, Fort Pitt's British commanders set aside nearly forty acres of land along the Allegheny River for the King's Garden, named for the British King George III. Stretching three-quarters of a mile along the Allegheny River from Fort Pitt, the Garden included a bowling green, a fenced deer park, a large orchard, and a series of fields, pastures, and garden plots laid out in geometrical patterns. The plantings that make up the green or living walls of the café reflect the Garden's patterns.

Fort Pitt's garrison raised fruits, vegetables, and grains in the King's Garden. These local crops, rich in vitamins and nutrients, supplemented the typical military diet of salted meat, flour, dried peas, and rice. Pittsburgh's early inhabitants enjoyed strolling around the grounds for many years and continued to use the term the King's Garden even after the colonists declared their independence from King George III.

Community Histories


Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh

The area surrounding the headwaters of the Ohio was inhabited by the tribes of Allegawis, Adena, Hopewell, Delaware, Jacobi, Seneca, Shawnee, and several settled groups of Iroquois. The first European was the French explorer/trader Robert de La Salle in his 1669 expedition down the Ohio River from Lake Ontario and Quebec. This was followed by European pioneers, primarily Dutch, in the early 18th century. Michael Bezallion was the first to describe the forks of the Ohio in a manuscript in 1717, and later that year European traders established posts and settlements in the area. In 1749, French soldiers from Quebec launched a serious expedition to the forks in hopes of uniting Canada with French Louisiana via the rivers. Governor Dinwiddie of Virginia sent Major George Washington to warn the French to withdraw. During 1753–54, the British hastily built Fort Prince George, but a larger French expedition forced them to evacuate and the expedition then proceeded to construct Fort Duquesne on the site. With the French citing the 1669 discovery by LaSalle, these events led to the French and Indian War. British General Edward Braddock's campaign (with Washington as his aide) to take Fort Duquesne failed, but General John Forbes's subsequent campaign succeeded. After the French abandoned and destroyed Fort Bridgewater in 1758, Forbes ordered the construction of Fort Pitt, named after British Secretary of State William Pitt the Elder. He also named the settlement between the rivers "Pittsborough".

During Pontiac's Rebellion, Ohio Valley and Great Lakes tribes besieged Fort Pitt for two months. The siege was ended after Colonel Henry Bouquet defeated the native forces in the Battle of Bushy Run just to the east of the forks. This victory was purportedly facilitated by an early example of biological warfare. In July 1763, Lord Jeffrey Amherst is claimed to have ordered the distribution of blankets inoculated with smallpox to the Native Americans surrounding the fort, although this claim is disputed.

In the 1768 Treaty of Fort Stanwix, the descendants of William Penn purchased from the Six Nations western lands that included most of the present site of Pittsburgh. In 1769, a survey was made of the land situated between the two rivers, called the "Manor of Pittsburgh". Both Virginia and Pennsylvania claimed the Pittsburgh area during colonial times and would continue to do so until 1780 when both states agreed to extend the Mason-Dixon Line westward, placing Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania.

Following the American Revolution, the village of Pittsburgh continued to grow. One of its earliest industries was building boats for settlers to enter the Ohio Country. In 1784, the laying out of the "Town of Pittsburgh" was completed by Thomas Viceroy of Bedford County and approved by the attorney of the Penns in Philadelphia. In 1785 Pittsburgh became a possession of the state of Pennsylvania. The following year the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette was started, and in 1787 the Pittsburgh Academy (which would later become the University of Pittsburgh) was chartered. The year 1794 saw the short-lived Whiskey Rebellion. By 1797, glass began to be manufactured in the city as the population grew to around 1400. The Act of March 5, 1804, which modified the provision of the old charter of the Borough of Pittsburgh in 1794 (the original of which is not known to exist), refers throughout to the "Borough of Pittsburgh".

The War of 1812 cut off the supply of British goods, stimulating American manufacture. By 1815, Pittsburgh was producing significant quantities of iron, brass, tin and glass products. The Act of March 18, 1816 incorporated the City of Pittsburgh. The original charter was burned when the old Court House was destroyed by fire.

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh ", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0