Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

American Revolution History by ColonialAmerica.com
American Revolution History by ColonialAmerica.com
Legend: Selected Site Area Merchant Site Historic Site Historic Marker Historic Shipwreck
Marker data courtesy of hmdb.org   Some map icons courtesy of Map Icons Collection



1776 Mayflower : A Story of Courage, Community, and War
The Federalist Papers Bunker Hill: A City, a Siege, a Revolution
Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis Thomas Jefferson and the Opening of the American West John Adams
Benjamin Franklin : An American Life The Bloody & Brave History of Native American Warriors & the Women Who Supported Them
Click here for additional books


We the Kids : The Preamble to the Constitution of the United States The New Americans : Colonial Times: 1620-1689 (The American Story)
The Notorious Benedict Arnold: A True Story of Adventure, Heroism & Treachery A History of US: Vol 3, From Colonies to Country (A History of Us)
Let It Begin Here!: Lexington & Concord: First Battles of the American Revolution George Washington, Spymaster: How the Americans Outspied the British and Won the Revolutionary War
They Called Her Molly Pitcher Now &  Ben : The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin


Pirates and Traders: Gold! Hidden Treasures Hidden Object
Dedaloop (Kindle Fire Edition) Word Treasure
Treasure Island, The Experience Robinson Crusoe
The Patriots Hero Tales from American History - AudioBook

Selected Site

Braddock Park


Wharton, PA, 15437




Gen. Edward Braddock was buried here in 1755, after his disastrous defeat and death. The site of his original grave, the new grave to which his remains were moved in 1804, and a trace of the Braddock Road may be seen here.

Click on heading to visit the website (excludes markers).

Nearby Historic Sites

Fort Necessity



1 Washington Parkway
Farmington, PA, 15437

Click on any heading to visit the website.

Nearby Historical Markers

Braddock Road



Henry Clay, PA, 15459

General Braddock's eighth camp, June 25, 1755, on the march to Fort Duquesne, was about half a mile S.W. Chestnut Ridge, seen on the horizon to the west, was the last mt. range to be crossed. Axemen widened an Indian path for passage of supply wagons and artillery over it.

Braddock Road - Dunbar’s Camp



North Union, PA, 15445

General Braddock’s army ascended the ridge east of this point and advanced toward Gist’s Plantation. Col. Dunbar’s detachment, following with the heavy baggage, made its last camp here. Later, as Braddock’s defeated army streamed back, Dunbar destroyed his supplies and withdrew.

Braddock Road - Rock Fort Camp



North Union, PA, 15445

General Braddock’s tenth camp, June 26, 1755, on the march to Fort Duquesne, was at the Half King’s Rock, one mile NE of here. The Rock was named for Washington’s friend Tanacharisson, the Iroquois viceroy (half king) of the Ohio Indians. Washington met him here in 1754.

Fayette County



Uniontown, PA, 15401

Formed September 26, 1783 from Westmoreland County. Named for the Marquis de Lafayette. Among the French and Indian War sites here is Fort Necessity. The county seat, Uniontown, was incorporated 1796. On the National Road, eventually U.S. Route 40.

First Roads to the West



Wharton, PA, 15437

Before the Europeans, only Indian trails led through virgin forests that once stretched beyond the horizon. About 1750 Nemacolin, a Delaware Indian, blazed a trail past here for the Ohio Company. Four years later, Virginia militia under Lt. Col. George Washington cut a narrow 'road' through this wilderness from present-day Cumberland, Maryland to beyond Fort Necessity.

In 1755, Maj. Gen. Edward Braddock's British army widened Washington's road and extended it to the Monongahela River. Braddock's Road was an amazing engineering feat. Hundreds of men cut a 12-foot-wide swath through the forest for Braddock's 2,400 soldiers, 13 cannons, about 100 wagons, and a herd of cattle. After the French and Indian War, this road became the main route west until the adjacent National Road reached the Ohio River in 1818.

Fort Gaddis



Leith-Hatfield, PA, 15401

Built by Thomas Gaddis about 1764 on the Catawba trail, as a place of refuge from the Indians. Gaddis was later a colonel in the Pennsylvania Continental Line during the Revolution.

Fort Necessity



Wharton, PA, 15437

Col. George Washington on June 29, 1754 began a fort here. July 4 he surrendered to a superior force of French. Fort Necessity Park includes the historic area and reconstructed fort.

Fort Necessity



Wharton, PA, 15437

Fort Necessity was located about 400 yards to the south in the Great Meadows. Built and commanded, 1754 by Lieutenant Colonel George Washington, aged 22. Here, after 9 hours engagement with M. Coulon de Villiers in command of 900 French regulars and their Indian allies, Washington and his 400 raw Virginia and South Carolina troops capitulated and early next morning July 4, 1954 marched out with the honors of war.

Friend’s Graveyard



Friendsville, MD, 21531

Nearby are the graves of John Friend, Sr. (1732 - 1808), Kerrenhappuch Hyatt (d. 1798), his wife, and their son Gabriel (1761 - 1852), John and Gabriel were soldiers in the Revolution. The first permanent settlers in Garrett County, they settled on the Youghiogheny River at 'Friends Fortune,' now known as Friendsville.

Road to Disaster



Wharton, PA, 15437

On June 25, 1755, the largest army assembled in North America up to that time passed this spot. British Maj. Gen. Edward Braddock led the first 1,400 soldiers of his 2,400-man army along a 12-foot-wide road. Lt. Col. Thomas Dunbar lagged behind with 1,000 men and the army's supplies. Braddock's goal of expelling the French from Fort Duquesne (present-day Pittsburgh) was thwarted when his advance troops collided with a force of French and Indians.

On July 14, what remained of that once proud British army hobbled past this point, retreating from their disastrous defeat at the Battle of the Monongahela. Today, the trail leads to this remnant of the 'Braddock Road' where a British army marched toward battle, returned in defeat, and buried its fallen leader.

The Great Meadows



Wharton, PA, 15437

This tablet marks the site of The Great Meadows where Lt. Col. George Washington fought his first battle and made his first and last surrender, July 3-4, 1754.

The Great Meadows Campaign



Wharton, PA, 15437

"Up to this time the colonies have been acting as entirely separate and independent states." From message of Governor James Glenn to the South Carolina Assembly, March 5, 1754.

The Great Meadows Campaign marked the first active united action on the part of the colonies. Here soldiers from Virginia and South Carolina fought together against a common foe. Troops from New York and North Carolina were marching to reinforce them. Pennsylvania voted 10,000 pounds and Maryland voted 5,000 pounds to aid the expedition, while Massachusetts sent troops north to harass the French. Thus more than half the colonies engaged in this campaign.

This tablet dedicated July 3rd, 1932, the Bicentennial Year of the birth of George Washington, by the Pennsylvania Society Sons of the American Revolution.

Washington-Braddock Road 1754-1756



HOPWOOD, PA, 15445

Remnant of the Great Rock or the Half King’s Rock mentioned by early cartographers.

The famous Washington-Braddock Road emerging from Laurel Hill Mountain one hundred yards eastward turned northward at this point.

Rock Fort Camp, where Braddock’s army encamped June 28, 1755, was situated one hundred fifty yards to the northward. Two miles beyond are Washington’s first battlefield, 1754, Jumonville’s grave and Dunbar’s camp 1765.

Community Histories


Friendsville
Uniontown

Friendsville

Friendsville is named after its first European settler John Friend, who came to what is now Garrett County before the Revolution.

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendsville,_Maryland", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0


Uniontown

Popularly known as Beesontown, "The Town of Union" was founded by Henry Beeson on July 4, 1776, only coincidentally the same date as the United States Declaration of Independence. The National Road, also known as the Cumberland Road, was routed through Uniontown in the early 19th century and the town grew along with the road. Within 10 miles of Uniontown is Fort Necessity, built by George Washington during the French and Indian War.

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniontown,_Pennsylvania", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0