Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

American Revolution History by ColonialAmerica.com
American Revolution History by ColonialAmerica.com
Legend: Selected Site Area Merchant Site Historic Site Historic Marker Historic Shipwreck
Marker data courtesy of hmdb.org   Some map icons courtesy of Map Icons Collection



1776 Mayflower : A Story of Courage, Community, and War
The Federalist Papers Bunker Hill: A City, a Siege, a Revolution
Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis Thomas Jefferson and the Opening of the American West John Adams
Benjamin Franklin : An American Life The Bloody & Brave History of Native American Warriors & the Women Who Supported Them
Click here for additional books


We the Kids : The Preamble to the Constitution of the United States The New Americans : Colonial Times: 1620-1689 (The American Story)
The Notorious Benedict Arnold: A True Story of Adventure, Heroism & Treachery A History of US: Vol 3, From Colonies to Country (A History of Us)
Let It Begin Here!: Lexington & Concord: First Battles of the American Revolution George Washington, Spymaster: How the Americans Outspied the British and Won the Revolutionary War
They Called Her Molly Pitcher Now &  Ben : The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin


Pirates and Traders: Gold! Hidden Treasures Hidden Object
Dedaloop (Kindle Fire Edition) Word Treasure
Treasure Island, The Experience Robinson Crusoe
The Patriots Hero Tales from American History - AudioBook

Selected Site

Forbes Road


SCHELLSBURG, PA, 15559




'The fort on the top of Allegheny Hill' was erected in 1758 during the Gen. Forbes expedition against Fort Duquesne. The site is marked half a mile northeast of here, near the head of Breastwork Run.

Click on heading to visit the website (excludes markers).

Nearby Historic Sites

Fort Bedford



Juliana St.
Bedford, PA, 15522

Somerset Historical Center



10649 Somerset Pike
Somerset, PA, 15501

Click on any heading to visit the website.

Nearby Historical Markers

"King's House"



Bedford, PA, 15522

A log structure, built prior to 1761, stood on this site. Known, also, as the Commandants House; later as "Rising Sun Inn." Occupied by British officers until close of French and Indian War. Destroyed by fire, Dec. 14, 1885.

"The Warrior’s Path"



Flintstone, MD, 21530

War path of the five nations from central New York to the Carolinas. One of the longest Indian trails in America, crossed this highway about this point.

Bedford County



Bedford, PA, 15522

Formed on March 9, 1771 from Cumberland County, it first embraced most of western Pennsylvania. Named for its county seat (formerly Raystown) incorporated 1795. In 1758, Fort Bedford was erected here, and Forbes Road - to become a major highway west - was built.

Bedford Village



Bedford, PA, 15522

Settled about 1750, known then as Raystown. Site of an early trading post and Fort Bedford, 1758. Base for Forbes, Bouquet expeditions. In 1794 Washington here reviewed forces in Whiskey Rebellion.

First Court House and Prison Built in 1774



Bedford, PA, 15522

This tablet marks the site
of the
First Court House
and
Prison Built in 1774
In the prison yard around which
was a high stone wall were
The Pillory and Whipping Post
used in those days for the
punishment of criminals

Prior to the erection of
this court house, the courts
were held in public inns


Forbes Camp



Schellsburg, PA, 15559

Near here was located Shawnee Cabins camp. Used by Gen. Forbes army in the campaign of 1758 against the French at Fort Duquesne in present Pittsburgh.

Forbes Road



Schellsburg, PA, 15559

Shawnee Cabins Encampment
At this point
the Forbes Road
leads southwestward
to
the eastern slope
of
the Allegheny Mountains
8 1/3 miles from Fort Bedford


Forbes Road



Quemahoning, PA, 15563

Named for Edmund Cartlidge, Indian trader. A camp located here, on the Raystown Path, provided good grass for the horses of General Forbes' army in 1758. The site of the redoubt is marked two and a half miles north of here.

Fraser Tavern



Bedford, PA, 15522

Site of lots on which John Fraser and his wife established an inn and trading post in 1758. Fraser had been a guide and interpreter for Colonel Washington. The inn provided meals for army officers at Fort Raystown (Bedford).

Harmon Husband



Somerset, PA, 15501

Leader of North Carolina revolt against the British, he fled under an assumed name in 1771. Somerset's first settler; lived at Coffee Springs farm some years. Became a pamphleteer and active in the Whiskey Rebellion. Died in 1795.

Shawnee Cabins



Schellsburg, PA, 15559

A village site nearby on the Raystown Path. Named for a group of Shawnee Indians who halted here on their retreat from the Potomac to the lower Allegheny valley in the early 18th century.

Somerset County



Somerset, PA, 15501


Formed April 17, 1795 out of Bedford County and named for Somersetshire, England. County seat of Somerset was incorporated in 1804. Settlement followed the course of Forbes Road, opened 1758. This farm county is noted for production of maple syrup.

The Squares



Bedford, PA, 15522

Set aside, at the time of Manor survey in 1761, by the family of William Penn, as property of the town of Bedford.

Community Histories


Bedford
Schellsburg

Bedford

Originally called Raystown, Bedford was settled about 1751 and laid out in 1766. Bedford was incorporated on March 13, 1795. For many years it was an important frontier military post. The Espy House in Bedford is notable for having been the headquarters of George Washington and his force of 13,000 while putting down the Whiskey Rebellion in 1794, which had started around the Jean Bonnet Tavern.

In 1758 the British Army came to Raystown to set up a fort. The fort was named Fort Bedford, for the politically powerful Duke of Bedford in England. Some believe this is how the town later got its name. Fort Bedford was built as one of the many British Army stepping stones through the state leading to the forks of the Ohio River; the other side of the forks was dominated by Indians. The British used the fort to drive out the French to ensure the new continent would be English-speaking. The fort was later a safe house for settlers escaping Indian raids. Fort Bedford was “liberated” ten years before the Revolution by American rebels, James Smith's Black Boys, and was the first fort taken from the British. The fort later collapsed and was reconstructed in 1958.

George Washington marched his army to Bedford in 1794 to subdue the Whiskey Rebellion. There was much more at stake than quieting the uprising of rebels angered by a tax on whiskey; Washington felt the constitution itself was at risk. The rebellion mainly consisted of farmers who learned they could earn more selling whiskey instead of grain. The Rebellion spread fast and when it reached Pittsburgh they almost burnt the city to the ground. Anarchy was on its way; the British and French watched every move hoping they could come back and take over. Washington knew he had to act and make a statement; the laws of America would be obeyed. 12,950 militiamen were called to Bedford leaving the rebels without many choices. One historian later stated, “It was at Bedford that the new federal government was finally to establish itself as sovereign in its own time and place.

Bedford, at one time, was famous for its medicinal springs. There is a mineral spring, a chalybeate spring, a limestone spring, a sulfur spring and two sweet springs. In the year 1804, a mechanic from Bedford, Jacob Fletcher, drank some of the water. The rheumatic pains and ulcers he had been suffering from troubled him less that night. From then on he often drank from the spring and soaked his limbs in the water. In a few weeks he was entirely cured. News spread and the “healing springs” quickly became popular.

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedford,_Pennsylvania ", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0


Schellsburg

Schellsburg was so named after John Schell who settled and founded this community. John Schell's grandfather Michael Schell, the progenitor of this branch of the Schell family in America, first arrived in Philadelphia from the Palatinate by way of Rotterdam in 1727, after which more family members arrived in 1732 and again in 1738. In 1732 when he returned with other members of his family, Michael Schell purchased a substantial tract of land where he settled with his family in the Perkiomen Valley northwest of Philadelphia, an area in Upper Hanover Township later known as East Greenville, in what was then Philadelphia County and became Montgomery County in 1760. The adjoining community of Hillegassville was named after its founder Johann Frederick Hillegass. His granddaughter Elizabeth Barbara Hillegass married John Schell, Jr., who was born in 1725 at the family homestead granted to his father John Schell, Sr., the youngest son of Michael Schell who died in 1770.

At an early age, John Schell, Jr. became possessed of considerable means after his patriotic service in the U.S. Revolutionary War and his father's death in 1777. For many years he traveled extensively on business through Bedford County, western Pennsylvania and Kentucky, which was admitted as a state in 1792. He was impressed by the climate and fertile soil in Kentucky, decided to remove there and select land to establish his own community for his family and friends. In the spring of 1800, John Schell and his family, consisting of his wife, eight young children and his widowed mother, left their home in Montgomery County and traveled west. When they arrived at the Ohio River, he realized that it would be unsafe for his family to traverse the river by boat due to the Indians. He returned through Napier Township in Bedford County and decided instead to settle in what is the present location of Schellsburg.

On May 1, 1800 John Schell purchased large tracts of land of more than 1,500 acres (6.1 km2), which were later divided into farms and given to each of his sons with an equivalent in money and land to his daughters. His own homestead was constructed on property located outside the town of Schellsburg. John Schell generously donated land for schools, churches and town lots and granted parcels to the town and its citizens. In 1808 he laid out the town lots, developed the community and provided impetus for construction of the nearby turnpike as its first president. After he settled in Bedford County, relatives and neighbors in Montgomery County followed and settled in the area and the immediate vicinity. Schellsburg was incorporated as the second borough of Bedford County in 1838. The town was designated an the Schellsburg Historic District in 2001 and included on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the Interior National Park Service, in recognition of the town's rich architectural heritage of buildings constructed of log and stone in the 19th century.

The first church in Schellsburg was Union Church. It was erected in 1806 and is the oldest church structure in Bedford County.

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schellsburg", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0