Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

American Revolution History by ColonialAmerica.com
American Revolution History by ColonialAmerica.com
Legend: Selected Site Area Merchant Site Historic Site Historic Marker Historic Shipwreck
Marker data courtesy of hmdb.org   Some map icons courtesy of Map Icons Collection



1776 Mayflower : A Story of Courage, Community, and War
The Federalist Papers Bunker Hill: A City, a Siege, a Revolution
Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis Thomas Jefferson and the Opening of the American West John Adams
Benjamin Franklin : An American Life The Bloody & Brave History of Native American Warriors & the Women Who Supported Them
Click here for additional books


We the Kids : The Preamble to the Constitution of the United States The New Americans : Colonial Times: 1620-1689 (The American Story)
The Notorious Benedict Arnold: A True Story of Adventure, Heroism & Treachery A History of US: Vol 3, From Colonies to Country (A History of Us)
Let It Begin Here!: Lexington & Concord: First Battles of the American Revolution George Washington, Spymaster: How the Americans Outspied the British and Won the Revolutionary War
They Called Her Molly Pitcher Now &  Ben : The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin


Pirates and Traders: Gold! Hidden Treasures Hidden Object
Dedaloop (Kindle Fire Edition) Word Treasure
Treasure Island, The Experience Robinson Crusoe
The Patriots Hero Tales from American History - AudioBook

Selected Site

Forbes Road


Dublin, PA, 17215




Just east of here is the junction of the two branches of the Raystown Path: a mountain shortcut by way of Fannettsburg, and Gen. Forbes road through Cowan Gap. From here Forbes route is marked by towns named for his forts: Littleton, Bedford, Ligonier, Pittsburgh.

Click on heading to visit the website (excludes markers).

Nearby Historic Sites

Fort Loudoun (PA)



US Route 30
Franklin County, PA, 17224

Click on any heading to visit the website.

Nearby Historical Markers

Big Spring Graveyard



Dublin, PA, 17233


Among those buried here are victims of the Great Cove Massacre of Nov. 1, 1755, at present McConnellsburg. The raid was conducted by Delawares and Shawnees led by Shingas, the Delaware 'king.' Houses were burned, and about 50 settlers were killed or captured. Its revelation at a meeting of Pennsylvania's Provincial Council, Nov. 5, 1755, led Gov. R.H. Morris to ask the Assembly for increased frontier protection.

Burnt Cabins



Dublin, PA, 17215

Early settlers' cabins in this vicinity were burned by Provincial forces, 1750, to satisfy Indian protests against white trespassers on their lands. The name is a relic of troubled days on the Pennsylvania frontier.

Fort Littleton



Dublin, PA, 17223

One of Pennsylvania's defenses against the French and Indians stood on this knoll.

Built 1756 by Governor Robert Hunter Morris

Fort Lyttelton



Dublin, PA, 17223

Begun in 1755 by George Croghan, named by Governor Morris after Sir George Lyttelton, then the Chancellor of the Exchequer. Garrisoned variously by Provincial and regular troops, as well as local volunteers in 1763. By 1764 it was reported in ruins.

Fort Waddell



Peters, PA, 17252

One of the forts
for the defense of the
frontier of Cumberland County
from Fort Davis to Shippensburg
stood near this marker
on the plantation then
owned by Thomas Waddell


Fort Wadell



Peters, PA, 17252

One of a line of forts built by settlers in this region for refuge from Indian attacks following Braddock's defeat in 1755. It stood just to the north.

Community Histories


Burnt Cabins
Fort Loudon

Burnt Cabins

The land was owned by Native American tribes until 1758, and permanent European settlement did not start until 1763, after the French and Indian War. Nevertheless by 1750, a hamlet known as Sidneyville had grown to 11 squatters cabins. The homes of these early settlers were burned by order of the provincial government to maintain the peace and to demonstrate to Native Americans that their ownership would be respected. Participants in the burning included Conrad Weiser, Richard Peters, George Croghan, and Benjamin Chambers.

The next day, being the 24th of May, Mr. Weiser and Mr. Galbreth, with the Under-Sheriff and myself, on our Way to the Mouth of the Juniata, called at Andrew Lycon's, with Intent only to inform him, that his Neighbours were bound for his Appearance and immediate Removal, and to caution him not to bring himself or them into Trouble by Refusal: But he presented a loaded Gun to the Magistrates and Sheriff, said, he would shoot the first Man that dared to come nigher. On this, he was disarmed, convicted, and committed to the Custody of the Sheriff. This whole Transaction happened in the Sight of a Tribe of Indians, who by Accident had in the Night-time fixed their Tent on that Plantation; and Lycon's Behaviour giving them great Offence, the Shickcalamies insisted on our burning the Cabbin, or they would burn it themselves; Whereupon, when every Thing was taken out of it (Andrew Lycon, all the while assisting) and Possession being delivered to me, the empty Cabbin was set on Fire by the Under-Sheriff, and then Lycon was carried to Goal .

The area developed as a linear village along eighteenth century roads that led from Philadelphia across the Tuscarora and Allegheny Mountains to Pittsburgh. Burnt Cabins first developed along a pack horse trail that generally followed an earlier Indian trail. In 1755 the Forbes Road expanded the trail to get British troops and supplies in place to take Fort Duquesne. In 1771 the Three Mountains Road was opened to connect Burnt Cabins more directly to Shippensburg. However by 1815 the Chambersburg and Ft. Bedford Turnpike was opened, bypassing both Burnt Cabins and Shippensburg from the most direct route between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. Surprisingly, Burnt Cabins benefited by being bypassed by the turnpike, as the county population grew and drovers used the older, free roads to take their cattle to market.

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnt_Cabins,_Pennsylvania ", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0


Fort Loudon

Fort Loudoun (or Fort Loudon, after the modern spelling of the town) was a fort in colonial Pennsylvania, one of several forts in colonial America named after John Campbell, 4th Earl of Loudoun. The fort was built in 1756 during the French and Indian War by Pennsylvania militia, and served as a post on the Forbes Road during the Forbes expedition that successfully drove the French away from Fort Duquesne.

In 1765, following Pontiac's Rebellion, settlers upset with the resumption of trade with Native Americans forced the British garrison to evacuate the fort, part of an uprising known as the Black Boys Rebellion.

A replica of the fort was built on the original site in 1993.

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Loudoun_(Pennsylvania)", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0