Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

American Revolution History by
American Revolution History by
Legend: Selected Site Area Merchant Site Historic Site Historic Marker Historic Shipwreck
Marker data courtesy of   Some map icons courtesy of Map Icons Collection

1776 Mayflower : A Story of Courage, Community, and War
The Federalist Papers Bunker Hill: A City, a Siege, a Revolution
Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis Thomas Jefferson and the Opening of the American West John Adams
Benjamin Franklin : An American Life The Bloody & Brave History of Native American Warriors & the Women Who Supported Them
Click here for additional books

We the Kids : The Preamble to the Constitution of the United States The New Americans : Colonial Times: 1620-1689 (The American Story)
The Notorious Benedict Arnold: A True Story of Adventure, Heroism & Treachery A History of US: Vol 3, From Colonies to Country (A History of Us)
Let It Begin Here!: Lexington & Concord: First Battles of the American Revolution George Washington, Spymaster: How the Americans Outspied the British and Won the Revolutionary War
They Called Her Molly Pitcher Now &  Ben : The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin

Pirates and Traders: Gold! Hidden Treasures Hidden Object
Dedaloop (Kindle Fire Edition) Word Treasure
Treasure Island, The Experience Robinson Crusoe
The Patriots Hero Tales from American History - AudioBook

Selected Site

Old Post Road: Count Rochambeau’s Troops

Havre de Grace, MD, 21078

Old Post Road Established 1666. Count Rochambeau’s troops camped here September 9, 1781 after having crossed the Susquehanna River on their way to the siege of Yorktown, Va.

Click on heading to visit the website (excludes markers).

Nearby Historical Markers

A Susquehannock Indian Fort

Octoraro, MD, 21918

A Susquehannock Indian fort located at this point was an important factor in the boundary line controversy between Lord Baltimore and William Penn in 1683.

Bald Friar Ford & Ferry

Five Points (historical), MD, 21918

Near Pilot, two and one-half miles northwest of this point, lies the site of a Susquehanna fording used by Indians before the coming of the white man. By 1695, a barge provided ferry service to the colonists. The Conowingo Lake now covers the site.

On April 12, 1781, Lafayette moved his troops south by way of this ford, followed by Rochambeau’s Artillery and baggage detachments on September 10 of the same year.


Perryville, MD, 21903

To present log wing, believed built in 1735, George Gale added fieldstone section c. 1781. Further additions to house were made in 19th century. Gale, born in Somerset County in 1756, served in Continental Army during Revolutionary War. Was member of Maryland Convention which ratified Federal Constitution (1788) and was elected to first U. S. Congress (1789). He died here in 1815, is buried nearby at St. Mark’s Church.


Churchville, MD, 21028

Formerly called "Lower Cross Roads." Council of Safety met here 5 April 1775. Considered as site for county seat 1781.

George Washington passed 6 May 1775 on way to be made Commander-in-Chief of Army.

Lafayette and his troops marched past 15 April 1781 on the way to Virginia. Part of Rochambeau’s Troops passed through Sept. 1781 toward Yorktown.

Colony Of Maryland

Henley Park, MD, 21001

Maryland founded as a Proprietary Colony by Lord Baltimore, March 25, 1634. Religious toleration established by Act of Assembly, 1649. Mason-Dixon Line surveyed 1763-1767. The British Stamp Act repudiated, 1765. 'Peggy Stewart' Tea Party, Annapolis, 1773. Maryland signed Declaration of Independence July 3, 1776.


Conowingo Village, MD, 21034

An Indian name meaning "at the falls." Captain John Smith ascended the Susquehanna River in 1608, to the head of tidewater. He named the first rapids "Smiths Falls."

Count de Rochambeau’s Troops

Perryville, MD, 21903

Crossed the Susquehanna River in five divisions and made their 23rd camp here at the end of August 1782 on the return from Yorktown victory to the north.

Cummings Tavern

Woodlawn, MD, 21904

Count de Rochambeau’s heavy artillery and baggage train camped here September 9, 1781 before fording the Susquehanna at Bald Friar and proceeding to join the main army on the Philadelphia Road.

Hall’s Cross Roads

Aberdeen, MD, 21001

At intersection of Old Post Road (established 1666) and Bush Neck Road (1670) were a tavern and relay point for stagecoaches in 18th Century. In 1835 nearby stop on Philadelphia, Wilmington and Baltimore Railroad was named for Aberdeen, Scotland, birthplace of the first station master. Hall’s Cross Roads, Mechanicsville and Aberdeen incorporated as Aberdeen in 1893.

Havre de Grace

Havre de Grace, MD, 21078

Here on the morning of May 3, 1813, British Forces under Admiral Cockburn landed, sacked, and burned the town. The principal defenses were two small batteries on Concord Point. The "Potato Battery" on high ground was manned to the last by John O’Neill.

John O'Neill

Havre de Grace, MD, 21078

This cannon of the War of 1812
marks the site of the battery on Concord Point
John O'Neill
served the guns single handed during the
British attack upon Havre de Grace
May 3, 1813 until disabled and captured.

He was released from the British frigate Maid Stone through the intercession of his young daughter, Matilda, to whom Admiral Cockburn gave his gold-mounted snuff-box in a token of her heroism. As a tribute to the gallant conduct of her father, the citizens of Philadelphia presented to him a handsome sword.

Erected by the citizens of Havre de Grace and the descendants of John O'Neill in the year of the National Star-Spangled Banner Centennial 1914.

Lafayette at Colonel Rigbie’s House

Berkley, MD, 21034

Had Lafayette failed in quelling the mutiny of his troops here on Friday, April 13, 1781, the Battle of Yorktown might never have been fought.

Old Post Road: Lower Susquehanna Ferry

Perryville, MD, 21903

Old Post Road established 1666. Lower Susquehanna Ferry established 1695. Rodgers’ Tavern where George Washington frequently stopped between 1781 - 1798.

Old Post Road: Spesutia P. E. Church

Perryman, MD, 21001

Old Post Road Established 1666. Founded in 1671. First church erected at Gravelly near Michaelsville. The three succeeding churches erected on the present location. One mile south of this point, colonial vestry house erected 1766.

Old Post Road: Susquehanna Lower Ferry

Havre de Grace, MD, 21078

Old Post Road Established 1666. Public Ferry ordered established by the Council of Maryland 1695 for travel between north and south. General Washington and many notable men used this ferry, also, the Continental Army and soldiers of War Between the States.

Rochambeau Plaza

Havre de Grace, MD, 21078

Named for the French General whose troops passed through here in 1781 en route to Yorktown. Records of the French Army noted plans were underway for a town at this place when the troops returned from Yorktown in 1782.

Rock Run Landing

Rock Run, MD, 21034

Part of "Land of Promise" tract. Original mill (1760), present grist mill (1794), first Susquehanna River Bridge (1818) and Barge Canal (1839) made through this hamlet a thriving commercial center. Surviving are Miller’s House, the Mill, Toll House and Owner’s Mansion (1804). Remains of canal and bridge piers are also visible.

Rock Run Mill

Granite Knoll Farms, MD, 21904

Owned by John Steel, this grist mill was in successful operation as early as 1731. At the same period a ferry was operated about one-half mile downstream at a crossing known as Upper Ferry.

Rodgers Tavern

Perryville, MD, 21903

In memory of
Colonel John Rodgers
friend of Washington
Organized and Commanded
5th Co. MD. Militia, 1776

Site of Chapel-of-Ease

Woodlawn, MD, 21904

To St. Mary Anne’s Church, North Elk Parish, North East, Maryland. Built in 1733, the oldest remaining gravestone in 1968 records the death of Thomas Shepherd, August 28, 1742.

Smith’s Falls

Rock, MD, 21904

In 1608 Captain John Smith ascended the Susquehanna River until stopped by the rocks. On his map he calls this point "Smyths Fales" marking it by a X which he explains as meaning "hath bin discovered what beyond is by relation."

Sophia’s Dairy

Aberdeen, MD, 21001

Left by Captain Hall of Cranberry in 1737 to his daughter Sophia, who married Colonel Thomas White, father of Bishop William White of Philadelphia, Mrs. Robert Morris and Sophia, who married Aquilla Hall. He built this house in 1768, one of the finest colonial buildings in Harford County.

Spesutia Church

Perryman, MD, 21001

Founded in 1671 at Gravelly, where original wooden structure no longer stands (about 2 miles southeast, on Aberdeen Proving Ground). Parish moved here in 1718. Present church, erected in 1851, is third on this site. Brick Vestry House here dates from 1766. Early graves were moved from Gravelly.

The name Spesutia is derived from the Latin for Utie’s Hope, 17th century Manorial Grant to Colonel Nathaniel Utie.

The Principio Company

Perryville, MD, 21903

A leading iron producer during the Colonial period, Principio held Maryland’s first blast furnace, operating 1725, and first refinery forge, constructed 1728. After the American Revolution, Principio made cannons and other ordnance until the British destroyed the complex in a raid during the War of 1812. The Whitaker Family revived the operation in 1837, and Principio remained an active iron manufacturing site for much of the nineteenth century.

This Tablet is in Commemoration

West Nottingham, MD, 21917

This Tablet is in Commemoration of Richard Stockton and Dr. Benjamin Rush signers of the Declaration of Independence and students of West Nottingham Academy. Stockton from 1743 to 1748 - Rush from 1751 to 1756.

This is a Section of "The General’s Highway"

Aberdeen, MD, 21001

Route of General Washington’s triumphant journey, December 2-23, 1783, New York to Annapolis, to resign as Commander-In-Chief of the first American Army.

Originally erected 1932 by Dorsey Chapter N.S.D.A.R. to commemorate George Washington Bi-Centennial.

West Nottingham Academy

West Nottingham, MD, 21917

Founded 1744 by Samuel Finley, Presbyterian Minister and a native of County Armagh, Ireland. He remained in charge of the academy and church until 1761 when he was chosen President of the College of New Jersey, now Princeton University.

Community Histories

Havre de Grace
Port Deposit

Havre de Grace

During the Revolutionary War, the small hamlet known as Harmer's Town was visited several times by General Lafayette, considered a hero of the war. He commented that the area reminded him of the French seaport of Le Havre, which had originally been named Le Havre-de-Grâce. Inspired by Lafayette's comments, the residents incorporated the town as Havre de Grace in 1785.

In 1789, the town was a candidate for the honor of being named capital of the United States. According to the town's public affairs handouts, when the U.S. House of Representatives voted on the new permanent U.S. capital, the vote was tied between Washington, D.C. and Havre de Grace -- with the tie-breaking vote cast by the House Speaker, in favor of Washington, D.C.

On May 3, 1813, during the War of 1812, Havre de Grace was attacked by British Rear Admiral George Cockburn. The American Lieutenant John O'Neill single-handedly manned a cannon to help defend the town. He was wounded, captured by the British, and soon released. In gratitude, Havre de Grace made O'Neill and his descendants the hereditary keepers of the Concord Point lighthouse marking the mouth of the Susquehanna River.

The early industry of Havre de Grace included oyster and crab harvesting, and extensive fruit orchards. Products were shipped to markets along the East Coast and upriver.

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article ",_Maryland", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0


Perryville was first settled during 1622 when Edward Palmer was granted a patent for a settlement on what is now Garrett Island. During the 17th century, Lord Baltimore granted George Talbot 31,000 acres (130 km2) of land which included the Perryville area. Before incorporation (1882), the settlement was known as Lower Ferry (circa 1695), Susquehanna (circa 18th century), and was finally named Perryville after Mary Perry, the wife of John Bateman.

During the Revolutionary War, Perryville served as a staging area for the Continental Army. Colonel John Rodgers (1728–1791), who operated the ferry and tavern in Perryville, raised the 5th Company of the Maryland Militia. This company became part of the famous Flying Corps and was instrumental during the early stages of the Revolutionary War. George Washington stopped frequently at Rodgers Tavern on his travels from Virginia to New York. Rodgers Tavern was listed on the National Register of Historic Places during 1972.

Colonel Rodgers' son, John Rodgers, was instrumental in suppressing the Tripolitan pirates in the Mediterranean Sea and was subsequently promoted to Commodore of the Mediterranean Squadron. Commodore Rodgers served with distinction during the War of 1812 and is known as the "Father of the American Navy."

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article ",_Maryland", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0

Port Deposit

Captain John Smith led two expeditions up the Chesapeake Bay in 1608 and 1609. His was the first recorded European visit to the area, getting upriver from the Chesapeake Bay about 2 miles (3.2 km) to the present location of Port Deposit. He named the rapids on Susquehanna which started just above Port Deposit as Smythe Fayles.

The town (or cluster of dwellings) existed under several names including The Upper Ferry and Creswell's Ferry before 1812. In 1729 Thomas Cresap established a regular ferry service near Smith's Falls (in the upper Port Deposit area) crossing the Susquehanna to Lapidum; this was referred to as Smith’s Ferry or Upper Ferry. In 1731 a road from Susquehanna Upper Ferry toward Philadelphia, as far as the jurisdiction extends, was authorized. In the same year, in the jurisdiction south of the river, a petition was submitted for a road from the mill at Rock Run to Peach Bottom, Pennsylvania. This upper ferry was later purchased by Colonel John Creswell and came to be known as Creswell's Ferry.

This location and Lapidum across the river were the Northern-most navigable deep water ports on the Susquehanna River, allowing access for ship traffic from the Chesapeake Bay. Ships from the Chesapeake met river barges and wagons loaded with lumber, grain, coal, whiskey, tobacco and other goods floated down river to this "port of deposit". In the early days it was difficult to float goods downriver, since there were many rapids and hazards, but it still remained the most convenient way for goods to leave much of the country drained by the Susquehanna above the falls. Further, since a number of roads were constructed to converge at the ferry crossing, goods could be carted or “rolled”

As early as the 1790s, the forests on the Susquehanna were being logged and the timbers floated downriver to points near the ferry landing. In 1812 the town was platted as Creswell’s Landing, and that same year Governor Levin Winder signed the bill changing the name from Creswell’s Landing to Port Deposit to prevent the continued confusion resulting from multiple unofficial names.

The Susquehanna Canal (which had several owners and several names over the years, including the Maryland Canal) was completed in 1812 and contributed much toward the town's growth. Until the canal was placed in service bypassing Smith's Falls, most of the traffic stopped at Lapidum, across the Susquehanna River since it was easier to run the rapids on the south side. However the new canal, the Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal on the north side of the river funneled the barge traffic into Port Deposit, stimulating rapid growth.

The Port Deposit Bridge Company was incorporated in 1808 for the purpose of constructing a bridge across the Susquehanna. These initial attempts failed, and in 1812 the Legislature authorized another company to proceed. They commissioned a survey, which was completed in 1813. It included the first written reference to Port Deposit, where one end of the bridge was to be located. This first survey proposed a location that complied with the law, but was longer than necessary. After petitioning for relief, the company was allowed to route the bridge closer to the falls, a route that required a 1,000 feet (300 m) shorter bridge structure. The Port Deposit Bridge, put into service in 1818, was the earliest bridge crossing of the Susquehanna River in Maryland. The wooden covered bridge was constructed just north of Port Deposit between 1817 and 1818 and had to be rebuilt after a span burned in 1823. It was reconstructed and remained in service until 1857.

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0