|Legend:||Selected Site||Area Merchant Site||Historic Site||Historic Marker||Historic Shipwreck|
William Bartram Trail
CLAYTON, GA, 30525
In 1775, William Bartram wrote in "Travels" of the flora and fauna of this area as he gathered specimens to ship to London.
Click on heading to visit the website (excludes markers).
Cherokee Boundary (1777)
Mountain Rest, SC, 29664
The Cherokee sided with the British during the American Revolution, and in 1776 Maj. Andrew Williamson's S.C. militia destroyed their 'Lower Towns' in what is now S.C. He then cooperated with the N.C. militia in expeditions against the Cherokees in N.C. and Ga. The Cherokees, seeking peace, soon negotiated with the Patriots to give up most of their lands in S.C.
On May 20, 1777, at DeWitt's Corner, the Cherokees signed a treaty with S.C., moving the frontier boundary line westward into what is now Oconee County. The boundary line crossed the top of Oconee Mountain near here. The remaining Cherokee land in present-day S.C. was ceded in the Treaty of 1816, extending the S.C. frontier to the present state boundary on the Chattooga River.
Picket Post, SC, 29691
Oconee, also spelled 'Aconnee,' was one of the Cherokee 'Lower Towns' in what is now S.C. at the base of Oconee Mountain and on the main trading path between the British and Cherokees, it was abandoned in 1752. Oconee Station was built in 1792 as an outpost where the path crossed the Cherokee boundary. This county, created from Pickens District in 1868, was named for Oconee Town.
Old Tugaloo Town
Jarrett, GA, 30577
North of this marker, in the center of the lake, once stood an important Indian town. The area now marked by a small island was settled around 500 A.D. and occupied by Cherokee Indians around 1450. Traders were coming to the town by 1690.
In 1716, while Col. Maurice Moore treated with Charity Hague, Cherokee Conjuror, a group of Creek ambassadors arrived. The Creek Indians, supported by Spain and France, wished to drive the British from the Carolinas in the Yamassee War. The Cherokees killed the Creek ambassadors and joined the British. By 1717, Col. Theophilus Hastings operated a trading center at Tugaloo where gunsmith, John Milbourne cared for Cherokee firearms. Indian agent George Chicken visited Tugaloo in 1725 and described it as '...the most ancient town in these parts.'
Tugaloo remained a principal Cherokee town until destroyed by American patriots fighting these allies of the British in 1776.
Cheohee, SC, 29686
Near this site once stood the Cherokee 'lower town' of Tamassee. On August 12, 1776 a Revolutionary War battle known as the 'Ring Fight' was fought here between the Cherokee and the South Carolina Militia under Captain Andrew Pickens. The Cherokee were defeated and many years later Gen. Pickens built his house here when he retired. The Cherokee became his neighbors and friends.
TamasseeThe name "Tamassee" means "Place of the Sunlight of God", according to an interpretation of the Cherokee word which gave the area its original title. Tamassee was the name given by the Cherokee to originally describe a Cherokee village in the area, which legend tells, was home to a magical and powerful Cherokee prophet. The Cherokee town of Tamassee was likely destroyed or abandoned after 1775 when Andrew Pickens fought in the famed "ring fight", which drove the Cherokee from the otherwise peaceful village. There is currently a South Carolina state historical marker denoting the Cherokee Village of “Tamassee Town” in the Cheohee Valley of Tamassee.[
This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamassee,_South_Carolina", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0