|Legend:||Selected Site||Area Merchant Site||Historic Site||Historic Marker||Historic Shipwreck|
William Bartram Trail
Arnoldsville, GA, 30683
On this site in 1773, William Bartram with Indians and Traders concluded the western boundary of "Treaty of Augusta".
Click on heading to visit the website (excludes markers).
Governor Mathews' Homesite
Saxon, GA, 30627
George Mathews born in Va. in 1739, of Irish descent, lived in this area then known as "Goose Pond" from 1785. His home since burned. He won distinction fighting Indians in the N.W. Ter. and in 1775 became a Col. serving under Washington at Brandywine & Germantown. He came to Oglethorpe Co. in 1785 and after but one years residence was elected both Governor and Congressman. Re-elected in 1793 he signed the "Yazoo Act." In 1811 he was appointed by Pres. Madison U.S. Commissioner to negotiate the annexation of Florida. He died in Augusta Aug. 30, 1812 & is buried there.
Great Buffalo Lick
Union Point, GA, 30669
This site is described in the treaty signed by the Creek and Cherokee Indians at Augusta, Georgia, in 1773. Here began the survey of the ceded lands.
Marcus (historical), GA, 30549
This is the same road over witch marched the famous Gen. Andrew Jackson. This marker erected April 1926 By Georgia Daughters of The American Revolution. Atlanta Chapter Atlanta and Sunbury Chapter Winder.
Bishop, GA, 30621
Just west of this marker is the grave of John Andrew who was a Revolutionary War soldier who fought in Georgia and South Carolina and served in the Georgia House of Assembly in 1783. He was a very early native Georgian (some say the first) to become an itinerant Methodist preacher and was the father of Bishop James Osgood Andrew. Bishop James O. Andrew was the focal figure in the split of the Methodist Church and formation of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. This was the site of Mt. Zion Methodist Church/community, ca. 1820 - 1856. John Andrew preached here in the 1820s.
May Erwin Talmadge
Athens-Clarke County, GA, 30606
May Erwin Talmadge was the eighteenth President General of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, 1944-1947. Mrs. Talmadge and her husband, Julius Young Talmadge (1880-1940), an Athens businessman, made their home in this Colonial Revival Style house, and she lived here until her death in 1973.
Active in the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, for more than sixty-two years, Mrs. Talmadge was the first President General to be elected from Georgia and the only Georgian to hold that office to date. Her grave, located at Oconee Hill Cemetery in Athens, was marked by the Georgia State Society NSDAR in 1975.
In celebration of the centennial anniversary of the founding of the Elijah Clarke Chapter on February 12, 1901, the members have placed this marker as a lasting tribute to May Erwin Talmadge, who served as Chapter Regent, 1916-1919, and State Regent of Georgia, 1924-1926.
Stinchcomb Methodist Church
DEWY ROSE, GA, 30634
Stinchcomb Methodist Church was one of the first churches in this section of the state. On Dec. 30, 1794, Middleton Wood granted to Absalom Stinchcomb, John Gatewood and John Ham, the 'privilege to erect a meeting house on his land on waters of Dove Creek'. The first building was a log structure. By 1850`s the church acquired surrounding property. The present building has been in continuous use for over 100 years. The sills are handhewn, 14 inched square. Among the old graves in the churchyard cemetery is that of Dionysius Oliver, Revolutionary soldier.
AthensIn the late 18th century, a trading settlement on the banks of the Oconee River called Cedar Shoals stood where Athens is located today. On January 27, 1785, the Georgia General Assembly granted a charter by Abraham Baldwin for the University of Georgia as the first state-supported university. Sixteen years later, in 1801, a committee from the university's board of trustees selected a site for the university on a hill above Cedar Shoals in what was then Jackson County. On July 25, John Milledge, one of the trustees and later governor of Georgia, bought 633 acres (2.6 km²) from Daniel Easley and donated it to the university. Milledge named the surrounding area Athens after the city that was home to the academy of Plato and Aristotle in Greece.
The first buildings on the University of Georgia campus were made from logs. The town grew as lots adjacent to the college were sold to raise money for the additional construction of the school. By the time the first class graduated from the University in 1804, Athens consisted of three homes, three stores and a few other buildings facing Front Street, now known as Broad Street. Completed in 1806 and named in honor of Benjamin Franklin, Franklin College was the University of Georgia and the City of Athens' first permanent structure. This brick building is now called Old College.
This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athens,_Georgia ", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0