Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

American Revolution History by ColonialAmerica.com
American Revolution History by ColonialAmerica.com
Legend: Selected Site Area Merchant Site Historic Site Historic Marker Historic Shipwreck
Marker data courtesy of hmdb.org   Some map icons courtesy of Map Icons Collection



1776 Mayflower : A Story of Courage, Community, and War
The Federalist Papers Bunker Hill: A City, a Siege, a Revolution
Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis Thomas Jefferson and the Opening of the American West John Adams
Benjamin Franklin : An American Life The Bloody & Brave History of Native American Warriors & the Women Who Supported Them
Click here for additional books


We the Kids : The Preamble to the Constitution of the United States The New Americans : Colonial Times: 1620-1689 (The American Story)
The Notorious Benedict Arnold: A True Story of Adventure, Heroism & Treachery A History of US: Vol 3, From Colonies to Country (A History of Us)
Let It Begin Here!: Lexington & Concord: First Battles of the American Revolution George Washington, Spymaster: How the Americans Outspied the British and Won the Revolutionary War
They Called Her Molly Pitcher Now &  Ben : The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin


Pirates and Traders: Gold! Hidden Treasures Hidden Object
Dedaloop (Kindle Fire Edition) Word Treasure
Treasure Island, The Experience Robinson Crusoe
The Patriots Hero Tales from American History - AudioBook

Selected Site

William Bartram Trail


Wrightsboro, GA, 30824




1773 the Treaty of Augusta
Bartram visited Wrightsborough
He described the view of high hills
and rich vales. He took on supplies.


Click on heading to visit the website (excludes markers).

Nearby Historical Markers

Basil Neal - Soldier of '76



Winfield, GA, 30802

'Happy Valley', homesite and burial place of Basil Neal, Revolutionary soldier, lies one-half mile off this highway in the direction the arrow points.
Basil Neal or O`Neal, was born in Maryland in 1758. When he was 17 years old his family moved to Virginia. There he grew to manhood and married Miss Ellen Briscoe, daughter of an eminent Virginia physician, granddaughter of Colonel Stuart, of New York, and great-granddaughter of Lord Bromfield of England.
Basil Neal fought heroically against the Indians and British before, during, and after the Revolutionary War. In 1780 he came to Georgia and settled in Columbia County on this plantation where he built his home and called it 'Happy Valley.' After the death of his first wife, who had borne him six children, Basil Neal married Miss Sarah Hull Green, daughter of Captain McKeen Green, who also had served in the Revolutionary War under the command of General Nathanael Greene, to whom he was related. Six children also were born of this second marriage, including Basil Llewellyn Neal, who served in the Confederate Army as a flag bearer, was captured and imprisoned at Ft. Lookout, Md. He is buried near his father.

Noted Indian Trail



Boneville, GA, 30808

The Upper Trading Path, one of the historic Indian routes of the Southeast, passed this spot, leading from present Augusta to tribes as far west as the Mississippi River. By various connections the trail reached the Cherokees of North Georgia; the Upper Creeks of Western Georgia and Central Alabama, and the Chickasaws and Choctaws of Mississippi.

Main stem of the trail, the Oakfuskee Path, ran past Warrenton, Eatonton, Griffin and Greenville to Oakfuskee Town, chief early center of the Upper Creeks, on the Tallapoosa River in Alabama.

White traders began using the route in the early 1700’s. Many parts of the trace remain in use today.

The Rock House



Mesena, GA, 30824

This 18th Century stone dwelling is the only surviving house associated with the Colonial Wrightsboro Settlement (1768). Its builder, Thomas Ansley, used weathered granite, quarried in its natural form from the nearby geographical fall line, as building material. The granite, along with pine timbers and cypress shingles, gave the house a distinctive Ga. Character.

The architectural style of the Rock House is similar to stone houses in the Delaware Valley of New Jersey from which Ansley migrated. It is the earliest dwelling in Georgia with its original architectural form intact.

Ownership of the Rock House passed to Nicolas C. Bacon in the 1840s and in the 1850s to the Johnson family, who maintained it as a working plantation until the 20th Century. The Johnson heirs, Effie Johnson Usry and Mary Ruth Johnson McNeil gave the house to the Wrightsboro Quaker Community Foundation, Inc. in 1966, who restored the house in 1981.

William Few Signer of the U.S. Constitution



Winfield, GA, 30802

On this site stood the home of William Few, one of Georgia`s signers of the United State Constitution. Built in 1781, the house burned in 1930.
William Few was born near Baltimore, Maryland, June 8, 1748. In 1776 he moved to Augusta, Georgia, and began to practice law. Among the positions he held during the next twenty years were the following` Lieutenant-Colonel of the Richmond County Militia during the Revolution; member of the State House of Assembly from original Richmond County; member of the Executive Council; presiding Judge of the Richmond County Court; surveyor general of Georgia; member of the Continental Congress; original trustee for establishing the University of Georgia; delegate to the convention which drafted the Federal Constitution; United States Senator; and Judge of the Superior Court of Georgia, Middle Judicial Circuit.
In 1799 Colonel Few moved to New York City, where he served as a member of the New York Assembly; State prison inspector; city alderman; United States Commissioner on loans; director of the Manhattan Bank; and president of the City Bank. Colonel Few died at the home of his son-in-law, Major Albert Chrystie, in Fishkill, New York, July 15, 1826.

Wrightsboro



Wrightsboro, GA, 30824

On this site in 1754, Edmund Grey, a pretending Quaker, founded the town of Brandon, named for one of its leaders. In Dec. 1768, Joseph Mattock and Jonathan Sell, Quakers, obtained a grant of 40,000 acres from the Royal Governor, Sir James Wright, revived the town and renamed it Wrightsboro, in his honor. By 1775 over 60 families had settled in the town and 200 in the township -- all Quaker. During the Revolutionary War the fort here, Fort Wrightsboro, was commanded by Captain Thomas White. John Louis Porter edited the newspaper "The Village Wreathe." Sherwood Roberts kept the Inn.

Community Histories


Appling

Appling

In 1816, the town known as Columbia Courthouse was chartered as the Town of Appling, named for the family of William Appling that had donated the land to the county and for Colonel John Appling, a local resident that had died in a campaign against the Seminoles.

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appling,_Georgia ", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0