Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

American Revolution History by ColonialAmerica.com
American Revolution History by ColonialAmerica.com
Legend: Selected Site Area Merchant Site Historic Site Historic Marker Historic Shipwreck
Marker data courtesy of hmdb.org   Some map icons courtesy of Map Icons Collection



1776 Mayflower : A Story of Courage, Community, and War
The Federalist Papers Bunker Hill: A City, a Siege, a Revolution
Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis Thomas Jefferson and the Opening of the American West John Adams
Benjamin Franklin : An American Life The Bloody & Brave History of Native American Warriors & the Women Who Supported Them
Click here for additional books


We the Kids : The Preamble to the Constitution of the United States The New Americans : Colonial Times: 1620-1689 (The American Story)
The Notorious Benedict Arnold: A True Story of Adventure, Heroism & Treachery A History of US: Vol 3, From Colonies to Country (A History of Us)
Let It Begin Here!: Lexington & Concord: First Battles of the American Revolution George Washington, Spymaster: How the Americans Outspied the British and Won the Revolutionary War
They Called Her Molly Pitcher Now &  Ben : The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin


Pirates and Traders: Gold! Hidden Treasures Hidden Object
Dedaloop (Kindle Fire Edition) Word Treasure
Treasure Island, The Experience Robinson Crusoe
The Patriots Hero Tales from American History - AudioBook

Selected Site

William Bartram Visited Augusta, 1773.


Augusta-Richmond County, GA, 30901




The village of Augusta.' wrote the celebrated American naturalist and botanist of his visits in 1765 and 1773, 'is situated on a rich and fertile plain of the Savanna River; the buildings are near its banks and extend two miles. The site of Augusta is perhaps the most delightful and eligible of any in Georgia for a city. I do not hesitate to pronounce, as my opinion, that it will very soon become the metropolis of Georgia. Upon the rich, rocky hills at the cataracts of Augusta I first observed the perfumed rhododendron ferrugineum.'

Click on heading to visit the website (excludes markers).

Nearby Historic Sites

Meadow Garden



1320 Independence Drive
Augusta, GA, 30901

St. Paul's Church (GA)



605 Reynolds Street
Augusta, GA, 30901

Click on any heading to visit the website.

Nearby Historical Markers

Big Stevens Creek Baptist Church (Hardy's)



Lenoir (historical), SC, 29860


Founded in 1762 by the Reverend Daniel Marshall, pioneer missionary and minister, this was the first church of the Baptist faith in the present Edgefield County, 'Mother of Churches.'

Fort Augusta



Hamburg, SC, 30901

This stone marks the site of the Colonial Fort Augusta, built by order of General Oglethorpe and the trustees in 1736; and known, during the Revolution as Fort Cornwallis. St. Paul Church was built in 1750, under the curtain of this fort.

Fort Grierson



Augusta-Richmond County, GA, 30901

Approximate location of Ft. Grierson, named after British Lt. Col. James Grierson, who commanded a temporary stronghold at this place during occupation of Augusta by the British under Col. Brown from May, 1780, to June, 1781. After a rendezvous between Richard Henry (Light Horse Harry) Lee, approaching from Sand Bar Ferry with General Elijah Clarke, and General Andrew Pickens, approaching from the North and West, the fort was invested and, after vigorous attack, Grierson attempted to escape with his garrison under protection of the river bank to Fort Cornwallis (site of present St. Paul`s Church). Few escaped; Grierson was captured and while a prisoner, was shot by an unknown Georgia rifleman.

General George Washington



Hamburg, SC, 30901

To Honor The Memory
of
General
George Washington

Guest of Our City
1791
Placed By Elizabeth Washington Chapter
D.A.R.
1932


Georgia's State Capital



Hamburg, SC, 30901

Augusta served as the capital of Georgia from 1785 until 1795 when the seat of government was moved to the new capital, Louisville. The Georgia General Assembly met at this site in a two-story building on the corner of Elbert (Fourth) and Bay Streets. The building was known as both the State House and Government House and was adjacent to the Academy of Richmond County. In Augusta on January 2, 1788, Georgia became the fourth state to ratify the United States Constitution. In 1789 the General Assembly, meeting here, adopted a new state constitution creating today's bicameral (two-house) state legislature consisting of the Senate and House of Representatives.

Great Indian Trading Path



Augusta-Richmond County, GA, 30904

The colonial Great Indian Trading Path crossed land now a part of Augusta College and followed a part of the present McDowell Street. It was variously called Trading Road, Augusta Road, and the Creek Indian Path. Early plats show it on land owned by Robert Walton, Abia Clay, and Francis Willis.

During the colonial era the Path was Augusta’s lifeline of profitable Indian trade; the exchange of English goods for furs brought in from the wilderness. Along this trail and its connections a lively commerce was carried on with tribes westward through Georgia and Alabama, to Mississippi and Tennessee.

Great Indian Warrior / Trading Path



Hamburg, SC, 30901

The most heavily traveled road in Colonial America passed through here, linking areas from the Great Lakes to Augusta, GA. Laid on ancient animal and Native American Trading/Warrior Paths. Indian treaties among the governors of NY, PA, & VA and the 19 chiefs of Iroquois League of Five Nations in 1685 and 1722, opened the Colonial Backcountry for peaceful settlement and colonization. In GA, the Path had two branches from SC, the western to Augusta and the eastern to Savannah, formed to find salt and game.

Home of Governor Telfair



Hamburg, SC, 30901

Here stood the home of Edward Telfair. He was one of the group of young patriots led by Joseph Habersham, who broke open the British powder magazine at Savannah on May 11, 1775 and carried away the powder for future use in the Revolutionary War. Later Telfair became a member of the Continental Congress and was the first Governor of Georgia after adoption of the U.S. Constitution. It is believed that as Governor he entertained George Washington in his home here in 1791, when Augusta was the State Capital.

Richmond County



Hamburg, SC, 30901

Originally designated as the Parish of St. Paul by the Act creating it in 1758, the name was changed in 1777 to Richmond County in honor of the Duke of Richmond, who, as a member of Parliament, was a zealous supporter of the American cause, advocating independence of the Colonies. It originally included a large part of four other counties: Columbia, Jefferson, McDuffie and Warren. Included within its borders are the incorporated towns of Augusta, the county seat; Hephzibah, formerly Brothersville; Blythe; and McBean.

Originally a trading community dealing in palfrey and tobacco, later its economy rested on numerous industries, principally textile, operated by power developed from its numerous creeks and the Augusta Canal constructed in 1845-1846, and agricultural products from rich arable farm lands. Numerous military engagements occurred here during the Revolutionary War, during which Augusta was twice captured by the British.

During the War Between the States, the United States Arsenal surrendered to State forces without resistance, and a Confederate powder factory, said to the be the second largest then in existence, supplied the Confederate Army and Navy. United States Army encampments, McKenzie, Hancock and Gordon, maintained during the Spanish-American War, World War I and World War II, respectively.

Samuel Hammond



Augusta-Richmond County, GA, 30901

Born in Richmond County, Virginia, Sept. 1757, Died at Varello, near Augusta, Sept. 1842.

Patriot,       Soldier,       Statesman.

Captain of minutemen at Great Kanahwa, 1774.
Long Bridge, Norfolk,                               1775.
Aid to General Hand at Pittsburgh,           1778.
Colonel of cavalry under Washington,       1779.

With General Greene in every important engagement through Virginia, the Carolinas and Georgia. On the front line at Eutaw, Cowpens and Kings Mountain. At the siege of Charleston, Savannah and Augusta. Member of Congress from Georgia, 1802. Appointed by President Jefferson in 1805 to the command of upper Louisiana. First territorial governor of Missouri. Secretary of state in South Carolina, 1831.

He gave 60 years of public service to the cause of America.

This memorial in his honor, placed by the Augusta Chapter Daughters of American Revolution, as the final tribute of his grandson, Hugh Vernon Washington.

The Mayham Tower



Hamburg, SC, 30901

Approximately at this place, May 28-31, 1781, a Mayham tower was erected by the American forces commanded by General Andrew Pickens and Lt. Colonel 'Light Horse Harry' Lee, who was besieging Fort Cornwallis, located on the present site of Saint Paul`s Church, held by a British garrison under Colonel Thomas Brown.

At the top of this tower constructed of logs filled in with earth, an embrasure was cut and a six-pounder gun was lifted into position which from elevation was able to rake the interior of the fort, so that the besieged had to dig holes for their protection, and on June 5, the British garrison of 300 surrendered to Major Rudolph, whom tradition identifies as the later Marshal Ney. Thereafter, Augusta and all of North and Central Georgia remained in American hands until the end of the War.

The Signer's Monument



Hamburg, SC, 30901

Dedicated July 4, 1848, in honor of the signers of the Declaration of Independence for Georgia: George Walton, Lyman Hall and Button Gwinnett. The first two lie buried in crypts beneath this shaft. The burial place of Gwinnett, whose body was to have been reinterred here, has never been found.

George Walton, born in Virginia, settled in Georgia, and was a colonel in the Revolutionary Army, twice governor of Georgia, judge of Superior Court and chief justice of Georgia, six times elected to Congress and served one term as United States Senator; wounded and captured by British at Savannah.

Dr. Lyman Hall, born in Connecticut, was one of the group of ardent revolutionaries from Midway, Georgia, who helped lead Georgia into open rebellion in 1776. He represented Georgia in the Continental Congress.

Button Gwinnett, born in England, settled in Savannah shortly before the Revolution and was a magnetic and fiery figure in the early days of the war. He was president of Georgia in March 1777. A quarrel with General Lachlan McIntosh, arising out of the ill-fated expedition to Florida, resulted in a duel in May 1777, on the outskirts of Savannah in which Gwinnett was mortally wounded.

U.S. Marshall Robert Forsyth



Hamburg, SC, 30901

Robert Forsyth was the first law enforcement officer killed in the line of duty. Captain of Light Dragoons in Henry 'Light-Horse Harry' Lee's cavalry during the Revolutionary War, Forsyth had been appointed the first marshal for the District of Georgia by President Washington in 1789. Forsyth also served as justice of the peace and as a trustee of Richmond Academy. On January 11, 1794, Forsyth was shot and killed by Beverly Allen while attempting to serve civil court papers. Allen was arrested and escaped twice, finally fleeing to Kentucky. Robert Forsyth, father of Georgia Governor John Forsyth, is buried in St. Paul's cemetery.

Washington's Southern Tour



Hamburg, SC, 30901

During his Southern tour of 1791, President George Washington visited Augusta--at that time Georgia`s capital--from May 18-21. Washington met with Governor Edward Telfair and other 'principal gentlemen of the place,' including George Walton and John Twiggs; attended a ball at Richmond Academy 'at which there were between 60 & 70 well-dressed ladies;' toured the remains of Fort Cornwallis near St. Paul`s Church; and visited the falls on the Savannah River. He described the city as 'well laid out with wide & spacious streets. It bids fair to be a large town.' Washington`s return to Philadelphia began on May 21 when he departed for Columbia, S.C.

White House Tract



Augusta-Richmond County, GA, 30904

The 500-acres parcel of land long known as the "White House Tract" witnessed many of Augusta’s most significant historical events. On this tract an Indian trading company known as MacKay’s Trading Post, or the White House, flourished. Around this establishment the bitter 1st Siege of Augusta raged for four days in September 1780. The unsuccessful Patriots under Col. Elijah Clarke had to leave some wounded behind. Some of these had broken their paroles and were executed by Col. Thomas Brown.

The White House Tract was divided into lots and became the town of Harrisburg which was eventually absorbed by Augusta. On the northern end of the tract near where the White House stood, the first Augusta Arsenal was built in 1819, and the Augusta Canal was built across it in 1843. This canal provided power for three textile mills and the Confederate Powder Works built on the White House Tract.

One of the most lasting of monuments built on the tract is the Harris-Pearson-Walker House, c. 1797, which was restored in the 1950’s

William Bartram Trail



Hamburg, SC, 30901

William Bartram Visits Augusta 1773 for Indian Ceded Lands Treaty.
1775 said . . . .'Augusta would become the Metropolis of Georgia'


Community Histories


Augusta

Augusta

The area along the river was long inhabited by varying cultures of indigenous peoples, who relied on the river for fish, water and transportation. The site of Augusta was used by Native Americans as a place to cross the Savannah River, because of its location on the fall line.

In 1735, two years after James Oglethorpe founded Savannah, he sent a detachment of troops to explore up the Savannah River. He gave them an order to build at the head of the navigable part of the river. The expedition was led by Noble Jones, who created the settlement to provide a first line of defense for coastal areas against potential Spanish or French invasion from the interior. Oglethorpe named the town Augusta, in honor of Princess Augusta, wife of Frederick, Prince of Wales and mother of the future King George III of the United Kingdom. Augusta was the second state capital of Georgia from 1785 until 1795 (alternating for a period with Savannah, the first).

It was in the area of Georgia developed as the Black Belt, for large cotton plantations, after the invention of the cotton gin made use of short-staple cotton more profitable. The commodity crops were worked by enslaved Africans, many brought from the Low Country, where the Gullah culture had developed on its large Sea Island cotton and rice plantations

This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augusta,_Georgia ", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0